Chickpea and Kale Breakfast Skillet
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Chickpea and Kale Breakfast Skillet is ridiculously easy to throw together and SO yummy. It’s light and yet surprisingly filling + packed with protein which is always a win in my book!
This recipe is courtesy of a random magazine that I skimmed through while waiting FOREVER at a doctor’s appointment lately. I didn’t write the name of the magazine down. I didn’t write the recipe down. But I took a mental picture of chickpeas with what looked like kale and an egg on top. I made my own version of it and it’s AMAZING!
I’ve tried it with various fresh herbs mixed in. Right now, it’s mostly basil since that’s the thing that I have in most abundance right now. Basil and mint. But, maybe mint would be weird in this dish? I also typically have it with an odd looking fried egg on top that’s slightly over cooked because for some completely inexplicable reason, I’m incapable of properly frying an egg. <<<I’m still working on that. So, the egg you see here is courtesy of my dear husband who is a master egg fryer (at least compared to me).
Make this for breakfast ASAP! You can thank me after :)
Quick note on the recipe: this recipe is extremely versatile! Start with the one can of chickpeas and the garlic. After that, you could add in lots of different spices (I want to try it out with some turmeric and paprika!!). You could also use any kind of greens that you want AND any kind of herbs. I plan to make this again tomorrow morning with rosemary because I’m 100% obsessed with rosemary.
We’re going to keep things short and simple on this one because it’s a simple recipe! I hope you make it and absolutely love it!Print
This vegetarian breakfast dish is SUPER easy to make but still so very satisfying!
- 1 15 ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1–2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of kale, washed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup of fresh chopped leafy herbs (I used basil since it’s in season but cilantro, parsley, etc would be great! you can also mix them).
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 1-2 fried eggs (poached would be great as well!)
- Place your cleaned and dried chickpeas in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the minced garlic and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Stir to combine.
- If needed/ desired, add in more olive oil. I wanted to minimize the amount of oil I was adding in so instead, I added a bit of water to the skillet to keep it from getting to dry. Within minutes, the water is absorbed/ evaporated. Add even more if needed.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the chickpeas begin to crisp up.
- Salt and pepper to taste (this is a good time to add other spices if desired…turmeric maybe? or cumin?)
- Turn the heat to low and add in the kale and fresh herbs. Continue to cook until the greens are wilted. Take off of heat.
- Top with a fried egg and enjoy!!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: stovertop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegetarian breakfast, chickpea breakfast, kale breakfast, savory breakfast