This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Tempeh Bacon Recipe– this vegan bacon is so easy to make and a must have for your breakfast and brunch menus!
I’m just going to start this post out by bringing up the elephant in the room….meatless bacon. I KNOW. I’m not trying to tell you that this tempeh bacon is the perfect swap for real bacon but I am promising you that it’s ridiculously tasty! Just stick with me for a minute on this one…
I happen to LOVE tempeh in any form. This sesame ginger tempeh stir fry is one of my favorite recipes on the blog and I have more yummy ones coming. So, I might be a little biased on this vegan bacon, I’ll admit.
While I didn’t get my bacon super crispy, you could cook it a little longer to get more crunch to yours. Just watch it carefully because there’s a fine line between perfect tempeh bacon and burnt bacon. No one wants burnt bacon!
Seriously can’t wait for y’all to try this because it’s SO GOOD and I can’t stop eating it.
How to make Tempeh Bacon:
Part of what I love about this recipe is how easy it is! Let’s get started.
Start by cutting the tempeh in to very thin strips. Mine were somewhere between 1/8 of an inch and a 1/4 of an inch.
Next, whisk together the marinade and then toss in the tempeh strips to soak up the flavors for a bit.
When ready to bake, line the tempeh bacon up on a baking tray and top it with the remaining marinade. Bake for about 10 minutes, flip, and then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
While this genuinely tastes great on it’s own, I especially love this vegan bacon in recipes that have bacon in them such as a cobb salad (with the tempeh bacon crumbled in) or a BLT sandwich (recipe for that coming SOON!).
Other Vegan Breakfast Ideas:
Easy & delicious vegan bacon made from tempeh!
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 package of tempeh, roughly 8 oz
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed or 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Prep the tempeh by cutting it into very thin slices about 1/8- 1/4 of an inch thick. I got about 35 slices out of my tempeh block. The thickness doesn’t matter too much but you do want it to be on the thinner side.
- Make the marinade by whisking together the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic, liquid smoke, olive oil, and maple syrup in a shallow bowl. Toss in the tempeh strips and let marinate for 30 minutes or even a few hours.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Line the tempeh strips up on the baking sheet and pour about 1/2- 1 teaspoon of the marinade on each strip of the bacon. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Watch it the last 5 minutes to make sure that it is not getting too dark.
- Let cool slightly and ENJOY!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan bacon, tempeh recipe, vegan breakfast