Keto Chicken Parmesan
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This super simple Keto Chicken Parmesan recipe is easy to make and the perfect gluten free dinner!
I’m so excited to be sharing this recipe with you today as it’s from my friend Mellissa’s new cookbook, Keto for Life! Mellissa and I met at a conference that I went to a couple years ago in Cancun. I met so many amazing people at that conference that I’m proud to say are still friends today.
I haven’t done a lot of keto cooking to be honest but it’s something that I’ve been excited to dive into a little bit more. Last year my little brother was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (which is pretty rare for someone in their late 20s). Since then, he’s had to make a lot of lifestyle changes in order to stay healthy and to manage his diabetes. He’s taken it all in strides and has even started a a podcast, The Type 1 Run Podcast, geared towards athletes with diabetes and helping them manage their diabetes as athletes.
When I saw this Keto Chicken Parmesan recipe in Mellissa’s new cookbook, I knew it was exactly the recipe that I had to make. In honor of my brother, Jonathan. I’m not sure I’ve ever been to an Italian restaurant with him when he didn’t order chicken parmesan.
There are so many great keto recipes in Keto for Life! I’m excited to try a few more of them AND to send my brother a copy of the cookbook to try out. If you’re looking to try out the keto diet, for health or weight loss reasons, I highly recommend Mellissa’s beautiful new cookbook.
How to Make Keto Chicken Parmesan
I’m not sure why but I expected this recipe to be a bit more complicated. It’s SO super easy!
We start with the breading by combining almond flour, parmesan and some spices.
We pounded the chicken a bit to get it to about 1/2 an inch thick. Then it’s dipped in an egg bath before covering it in the breading.
The recipes calls for you to fry the chicken for about 3 minutes on each side before baking it for 20 minutes. You could, however, skip the frying altogether and just bake the chicken. It won’t be *quite* as good though :) If you’re going to skip the frying step, I recommend spraying the breaded chicken with cooking spray before baking it. It’ll also need about 10 extra minutes in the oven.
After your chicken is fried, it’s covered in marinara and mozzarella before being baked for 20 minutes.
This Keto Chicken Parmesan is super easy and ridiculously tasty!
I’m excited for you to try this recipe and to get your hands on Keto for Life!Print
- 1/2 cup of superfine blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 of oil for frying, olive oil works great
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 4 chicken breasts (6ish ounces each), pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce
- 4 ounces of whole-milk mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
- fresh basil or parsley for garnish, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a plate with paper towels to place the fried chicken on.
- Make your breading in a shallow dish by whisking together the almond flour, parmesan, salt, dried parsley, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium high heat until hot.
- In a shallow dish beat the egg.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg so that it is full covered and then dip it in the breading so that it is fully covered on all sides in the breading.
- Fry the chicken in the hot oil for 3 minutes on each side or until a nice golden grown. No need to fully cook the chicken as it will finish cooking in the oven. Once done, place the chicken on the paper towel lined plate.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish or oven proof skillet. Place the chicken in the dish and then spread the remaining marinara sauce evenly on top of the chicken. Place the sliced mozzarella on top of the chicken and bake for 20 minutes until it’s a nice golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and ENJOY!!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: italian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 509
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 10.5g
- Fiber: 6g
Keywords: chicken, parmesan, keto, italian