Sugar Cookie Frosting
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Sugar Cookie Frosting Recipe is easy to make and perfect for easy cookie decorating! So simple and deliciously sweet!
I have several cookie recipes on my blog that call for a good simple frosting recipe so I figured that it would be helpful to have mine easily accessible for you!
It comes together in a matter of minutes and is easily customizable to suite your needs! I love adding almond extract to mine but you can keep it classic with just vanilla. And, of course, any kind of food coloring can be added for fun shades of frosting.
I originally developed this as a vegan cookie frosting BUT have since tested it with regular butter + milk and it works just the same. So feel free to use whatever kind of butter and milk that suite you!
Here’s what’s in this frosting
For this recipe, we’re just working with 4 simple ingredients:
- Softened Butter– again, I’ve tested this with vegan butter (my favorite is Country Crock Plant Butter) as well as traditional butter. I suggest getting unsalted for this recipe.
- Milk– really any kind works here! I used oat milk when making this most recently but plain milk or any other kind of plant-based milk works well.
- Powdered sugar– this is where all of our sweetness is coming from.
- Extract– I like using a little vanilla PLUS almond because I’m just really obsessed with almond extract. However, just vanilla works well too.
To make the frosting, you’ll simply whisk together half of the powdered sugar with the butter. After about a minute, add in the remaining ingredients and whisk on high until creamy and SMOOTH.
You can add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, if you want it a bi smoother and thinner. Just be careful not to add too much!
As usual, PLEASE let me know if you make this recipe and let me know how you like it! You can come back here and leave a comment or tag me on instagram (@foodwithfeeling).
Delicious cookies for frosting:
- Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Heart Shaped Valentine’s Day Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies
This Sugar Cookie Frosting recipe is very simple to make and the perfect pair to your favorite cookies!
- 3 tablespoons of butter, softened (vegan as desired)
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of milk (any milk including plant milks will work!)
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract*
- food coloring as desired (I used about 2 crops of red to get a pale pink frosting)
- Make the frosting by combining the butter and half of the powdered sugar in a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) until just combined.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar as well as the milk, vanilla, almond extract, and food coloring. Continue to whisk until it reaches your desired consistency (about 1-2 minutes).
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge.
*As desired, you could leave out the almond extract and simply add in double the vanilla
- Category: dessert
- Method: mixer
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan frosting, sugar cookie frosting, cookie frosting