Sweet Potato Chili
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Sweet Potato Chili Recipe– this vegan chili recipe is super simple to make and so ridiculously satisfying! It’s great for meal prep during colder months and one of my new favorite chilis!
My Loaded Vegan Chili recipe is currently one of THE MOST popular recipes on my blog right so I thought it would be fun to create a slightly different version of that recipe. Since I love sweet potato in basically everything, we’re making a Sweet Potato Vegan Chili today!
While I’ve never made this in a slow cooker, I think that it would work well! If you end up trying it out, please do let me know how it turns out. I’m hoping to test that out soon and will update you on how I liked it.
One of the main reasons I love easy chilis like this: they’re GREAT for meal prep! Ok, truthfully, I don’t really do a lot of meal prepping, since I work from home, BUT I am always happy to have these leftovers in the fridge.
But what I’m saying is: if I WAS a meal-prepper, I would 1000% make this sweet potato chili on the regular during the colder winter months! :)
How to make Sweet Potato Chili:
One of the things that I love about this vegan chili is that it comes together in just ONE big pot. Perfect for meal prep and easy weeknight dinners :D
First we’ll start out by sautéing the veggies a bit before adding in the remaining ingredients. The whole thing is brought to a simmer and cooked for about 30 minutes so that the sweet potato is soft and cooked through.
THAT’S IT! Super simple and minimal clean up!
See how to make the sweet potato chili here:
Easy and delicious Vegan Sweet Potato Chili Recipe!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed (or finely minced)
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 15 ounce cans of beans, drained and rinsed (I used kidney beans and cannellini beans but black beans would also work well!)
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in the oil. Once the oil is warmed, add in the onion, sweet potato, and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently and being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients, increase heat, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked through and fork tender.
- Once ready to eat, take off of the heat and garnish with some vegan sour cream, green onion, avocado, etc.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan soup, vegan chili, vegetarian chili, sweet potato chili