Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies are SO DELICIOUS and surprisingly simple to make! They’re also dairy and egg free which makes them fully vegan (but still so good!). Can’t wait for you to make these.
As I do with many of my recipes, I teased these cookies on Instagram a few weeks ago and the excitement was through the roof. And I’m not going to lie, they are pretty fantastic (especially considering how simple they are to make!).
I based this recipe off of my classic vegan sugar cookies recipe (which is amazing BTW!). The recipe stays largely the same but with the addition of a sweet cinnamon filling.
I saw a non-vegan version of these cookies on Pinterest and was so excited to give it a try using my recipe. It was so much easier than I expected and worked perfect on the first try (which is pretty rare when testing baked goods!). GAH y’all are going to love these cookies!
The hardest part about making these cookies is that once the dough is filled and rolled up, it needs to chill in the fridge for a few hours. If I can manage it, I like to make these the day before so that they can sit in the fridge overnight. The chilling process is truly key in getting these to hold their shape and not puff up too much.
How to make these Cinnamon Roll Cookies:
As I’ve mentioned about 10 times now, these cookies truly are so easy to make!
First we’ll make the dough by creaming together the vegan butter and sugar before mixing in the remaining wet ingredients. Then the dry ingredients are whisked together in a separate bowl and added to the same bowl with the wet ingredients. AND then the dough is done. Seriously so simple.
The dough is then divided in 2 and rolled out into rectangles. We’ll then brush it with some vegan butter before sprinkling on a cinnamon sugar mixture. Using the parchment paper, tightly wrap up the dough just as you would with cinnamon rolls. It might crack just a little but you can easily press the cracks together with your fingers.
Then the IMPORTANT STEP: you have to let the doll rolls chill in the fridge for at least a few hours or else the cookies won’t bake properly and will puff up a decent bit. I like to make the dough and chill it the day before but otherwise, try and let it chill for at least 2 hours (but preferably 3-4).
Once chilled, simple slice and bake! I topped my cookies with a simple frosting drizzle!
Really love these cookies and I know that they’ll be a huge hit in your whole house!
Alright well, that’s it for today! As always, if you end up making this recipe, please snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always love to see what y’all are making from the blog!
- ½ cup (1 stick) vegan butter, room temperature
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (or any milk alternative)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour (+ more for rolling out).
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tablespoons of vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegan powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp almond milk (or any milk alternative)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar together in a stand mixer for 2 minutes or until it comes together. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat for an additional minute, until light and fluffy. Add in the almond milk and extracts and mix until combined.
- On medium speed, slowly combine the dry with the wet and beat until just combined. Do not overmix – once the dough comes together, it’s ready.
- Divide the dough in half and roll. Take one half of the dough, form it into a rectangle and place it in between 2 pieces of parchment paper (this can also simply be done on a well floured surface but I like how much cleaner the parchment paper makes things). Roll the dough out into a rectangle that’s roughly 7”x9”. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and the cinnamon for the filling.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of butter over the top of each piece of dough. Evenly divide the cinnamon sugar over the tops of each (see photos for reference).
- Starting at one of the long ends, gently and TIGHTLY roll up each rectangle of dough. I use the parchment paper to help roll and keep things tight. The cookie dough might tear just a little but you can easily press it back together a little with your fingers. See video for reference.
- Once fully rolled up, place the dough logs on plastic wrap and roll up tightly. I like to press the ends in a bit so that it’s nicely compact. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours but even overnight.
- Once ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Slice the cookies into ½ inch discs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned and the tops are done. Let cool completely if you plan to ice them.
- Make the icing by whisking together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Drizzle over the cookies and ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan cookies, cinnamon roll cookies, vegan sugar cookies