Vegan Sugar Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Iced Vegan Sugar Cookies– this is the most PERFECT vegan sugar cookie recipe that I have ever made. They hold their form so well and seriously taste amazing! BONUS: they’re super easy to make!
It’s FINALLY here- this PERFECT Vegan Sugar Cookies recipe. This is one of the recipes that I worked with Courtney to create and I LOVE how they turned out. Courtney is a blogger at Courtney Made and works at one of my favorite bakeries in Nashville, Baked on 8th. I’m super excited to have her helping me out with some of my vegan baked goods and know that you’re going to love all of them as much as I already do.
A few months ago, Courtney made the most delicious sugar cookies for Jemma’s birthday and I told her that I wanted these cookies to be as close to those as possible. One of the keys to this recipe that makes it so delicious: almond extract. I am obsessed with how delicious almond extract is in cookies and highly recommend adding it to these cookies.
One of the other things that I love about this recipe: it’s surprisingly easy. Yes, it does require that you roll it out which always feels a little bit extra to me. However, the rolling and cutting process can be done quickly with little effort. These cookies taste AMAZING on their own but they’re always fun iced, especially for the holidays.
I haven’t had time to make a video for this recipe yet but that will be coming very soon so that you can see exactly how to make these vegan sugar cookies. I always find it helpful to see how to whip together any baked good!
The best vegan butter for these cookies:
I’ve been experimenting a lot lately with vegan butters and I must say: the options have gotten SO MUCH better over the past year! Not only are there so many different vegan butters on the market now but the formulas of the ones available are so good.
Here are the vegan butters that I’ve been working with for baking lately:
- Country Crock Plant Butter (I’ve been using the avocado oil one mostly)
- Miyokos Classic French Butter Sticks (love these but they’re quite salty)
- Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks (not as bad as Miyokos but still quite salty)
- Melt Organic Butter (these are new to me and I’ve only used it a few times but I really like them!)
How to make Easy Vegan Sugar Cookies:
I highly suggest using a standmixer for these cookies but it’s not absolutely necessary. If you don’t have one, you can cream together the butter and sugar using a hand mixer for the same amount of time.
To start out, mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.
In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and sugar. You’ll want to do this for about 2 full minutes so that the mixture is full combined and has turned a lighter creamy color.
Mix in the almond milk and the extracts and then mix in the dry ingredients.
Now roll the dough out on a floured surface and cut into your desired shapes. Place the cookies onto your prepared baking sheet and place them in the fridge for 10 minutes. This step is ABSOLUTELY necessary in order for the cookies to hold their form and not spread. This is especially important when cutting them into fun shapes besides just circles.
After they’re chilled, simply pop them in the oven for about 10 minutes and ENJOY!
We made a simple royal icing for these cookies but a buttercream would be great as well!
I’m so excited to see you all making this vegan sugar cookie recipe. If you do make them, PLEASE PLEASE snap a photo and tag me on instagram @foodwithfeeling!
Easy and delicious Vegan Sugar Cookies!!
- ½ cup (1 stick) vegan butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (or any milk alternative)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour (+ more for rolling out).
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp almond milk (or any milk alternative)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: vegan gel food dye
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the softened vegan butter and sugar together in a stand mixer or using an electric handheld mixer for 2 minutes or until it comes together. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat again for another minute, until light and fluffy. Add in the almond milk and extracts and mix until combined.
- Slowly combine the dry with the wet and beat until a dough has formed – about 2-3 minutes of mixing. Do not overmix – once the dough comes together, it’s ready.
- Move the dough to a floured surface. Roll the dough out to ¼ inch in thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out your cookies and carefully transfer them to a parchment lined cookie sheet, 1 inch between each cookie. Continue to re-roll the dough and cut out cookies until you have used all the dough.
- Place the sheet in the fridge for 10 minutes. This step is crucial for the cookies to maintain their shape or design. Bake straight from the fridge for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges. Remove and allow to cool.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the icing and dip the cooled sugar cookies in the icing. Top with vegan sprinkles if desired!
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan cookies, sugar cookies, eggless cookies