Almond Butter Cups
‘Make homemade dark-chocolate almond butter cups’ is something that’s been on my list for a while. In fact, I bought the ingredients about 3 weeks ago and finally got around to it this past weekend.
And, I’m SO glad that I did. These are SO good. A different kind of good, to be honest, than eating a Reeses but still VERY good. Here’s the thing: I didn’t temper the chocolate because who’s really got time for that? Plus, I kind of don’t mind licking melted chocolate off of my fingers. It’s a life problem that I’m okay with.
This post is in no way affiliated with Justin’s….I just really really like their almond butter.
Also: ORANGE ZEST! Best idea ever. I zested an orange onto a few of the cups and my only regret is that I didn’t add the zest to ALL of the cups. Lesson learned.
Here’s how this goes. Melt your chocolate and spoon ~a tablespoon into muffin cups.
Stick em in the freezer to harden the chocolate. While that is happening, melt some coconut oil and mix it into the almond butter.
This makes the almond butter a bit creamier and gives us all the benefits of coco oil! Just keep stirring until it’s ALL combined
Once the bottom layer of chocolate has hardened, add a layer of almond butter.
Stick that in the freezer to harden for just a couple minutes before adding a top layer of dark chocolate. (and some orange zest if you’re into that). And then freeze that.
In the end you have Almond Butter Cups of deliciousness!
NOTE: these need to stay refrigerated or else the almond butter/ coco oil kind of melts. To me, this is perfect for a cold-ish summer time sweet treat :)Print
- 1 cup of dark chocolate (use non-dairy chocolate to make these vegan)
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of almond butter
- optional: orange zest for topping
- Melt half of your chocolate in a double boiler and spoon ~1 tablespoon of melted chocolate into each muffin cup. Put in the freezer until hardened.
- While that freezes, melt the coconut oil and then stir in the almond butter. Continue to stir until well combined.
- Once ready, spoon ~1 tablespoon of the almond butter mixture into each muffin cup on top of the hardened chocolate. Put in the fridge to hardened for just a few minutes.
- Melt the meaning chocolate and spoon it evenly on top of each muffin cup. If topping with the orange zest, do so now. Place in the fridge or freezer to harden.
- Don’t forget to store these in the fridge.