This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Eating vegetarian and vegan doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy a delicious BBQ dish! This BBQ Tofu is simple to make and seriously so delicious! We’re marinating the tofu for optimal flavor and texture.
Earlier this year I shared a whole guide on marinating tofu with six different flavor options. This BBQ tofu has BY FAR been the most popular so I figured that it deserved it’s own dedicated blog post!
Hopefully it’s no surprise to you by now that I am OBSESSED with tofu. Like, completely obsessed. I’ve cooked it pretty much ever way that you can image at this point and I just really love it :)
PLEASE tell me that you’re as into tofu as I am?
However, if you are new to tofu, I’ve got you covered!
HERE is a full guide and TOFU 101 that covered everything from prepping it, flavoring it, kinds to buy….pretty much everything!
I also have a full tutorial on how to prep and press tofu (even without a tofu press!) if you need that.
How to make BBQ Tofu:
- Start out by pressing your tofu. I love this tofu press that I’ve used for years HOWEVER (like I mentioned) I have a guide on how to press it with items you already have lying around your house.
- Marinate. In a shallow dish or bag, mix together the marinade ingredients and then add in the tofu. This need to sit for about 30 minutes but could even be left overnight as desired. The longer the better but even just 30 minutes makes a big difference.
- Cook. In the directions below, I offer 2 different ways to cook your tofu. My favorite way to prepare this recipe is to BAKE it but you can also pan fry the tofu as long as you have a good non-stick skillet. However you cook it, I highly recommend adding on some of the leftover marinade for extra flavor and sauciness :)
As usual, if you end up making this recipe, PLEASE please snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always love to see what you’re making and how you like it! Or come back here and leave a comment and review :)Print
This BBQ Tofu is simple to make and so ridiculously delicious!
- 14–16 ounce block of tofu (firm or extra firm is best for this recipe)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash of liquid smoke (optional)
- Prep your tofu: Follow my directions HERE for how to press tofu and cut it into your desired shapes. I like to cube mine into medium pieces but really anything works! Set side.
- Make the marinade: Whisk together marinade ingredients directly in the dish/ bag that you plan to marinate the tofu in. A plastic baggie, stasher bag, or really any kind of shallow resealable container works well. Add all of the ingredients (minus the tofu) and whisk until fully combined.
- Add the tofu: add in your tofu pieces and let marinate for 30 minutes or even overnight. Ideally this will marinate for a good few hours but even just 30 minutes makes a big difference. Save the leftover marinade!
- Bake: On a large baking try lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper, line up the tofu pieces. Top each pieces with a tiny bit of the marinate (about 1/2 tsp each). Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Flip the pieces over (option to add a little bit more of the marinade) and bake for an additional 10-15 more minutes.
- Or pan fry: To pan fry the tofu, I suggest using a large non-stick skillet. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat and add in the tofu. Cook for 15 minutes, flipping every few minutes so it’s cooked on all sides. Option to toss in a few tablespoons of the marinade and cook for 2 additional minutes so that the sauce is thickened and the tofu is fully covered.
- Category: dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: bbq tofu, vegetarian bbq, vegan bbq