Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you’re looking for an easy AND filling vegetarian dinner idea, you’re going to LOVE these Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! They come together with just a few simple ingredients and are very easy to customize based on your personal preferences.
This recipe has consistently been one of the most popular recipes on my blog for many years now. I originally posted it in 2016 and figured that over 4 years later, it could use a bit of a revamp. Next week, I’m going to post a WHOLE Youtube video showing you how to make stuffed sweet potatoes FOUR different ways including the Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe that I recently posted as well as my Breakfast Stuffed Sweet Potatoes and these Guacamole Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
Needless to say, I am a HUGE fan of sweet potatoes STUFFED with yummy things :D
I first discovered my love with black beans + sweet potatoes (a match I would have never tried before a few years ago), at a vegan restaurant when I was living in Nashville. I tried their black bean and sweet potato tacos (which I replicated HERE) and immediately fell in love with that combo.
One of the other reasons that we really love this recipe in our house: it makes for AMAZING meal prep. Whether you’re prepping lunches or simply trying to meal plan for the week, this recipe makes things SO MUCH easier. I like to bake up a big batch of sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week and then eat on them for the net few days. For lunches, I like to pack the sweet potato and black bean mixture separately and then heat them up + mix them together when I’m ready to eat it.
Ingredients in these Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes– duh ? I typically bake my sweet potatoes in he oven but I also have a written recipe for how I make them quickly in my Instant pot. You can check out that recipe HERE.
- Black beans– you can make your own or do what I pretty much always do which is simply drain and rinse a can of black beans.
- Onion and other veggies– as written, the recipe simply calls for onion. However, you could easily saute up some other veggies if you’d like. I’ve made this several times with bell pepper as well and always love that.
- Spices– I used a simple mix of spices that result in a kind of taco seasoning that I really love. Feel free to use whatever spices you desire here but my recipe as written is a great starting point!
That’s it for today! I’m excited to see more of you making this recipe because it’s seriously so simple and SO GOOD! if you do make it, PLEASE tag my on Instagram @foodwithfeeling!
See How to Make the Sweet Potatoes:
More delicious vegetarian dinner recipes to try:
These Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes come together with just a few simple ingredients and make for a filling and delicious Vegan dinner!!
- 4 medium- large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup of Cashew Cream Sauce (you could also use sour cream or plain greek yogurt if not vegan)
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, finely diced (about 1 cup diced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil (I used olive oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 an avocado, chopped
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a fork can easily be inserted into the flesh of the potatoes.
- Prepare the cream sauce by whisking together the cashew cream sauce, lime juice, and black pepper. Set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes have about 10 minutes left, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and then add in onion. Saute for 5 minutes until the onions begins to become translucent. Add in the spices stir and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the black beans to the skillet and toss to combine. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the black beans are fully heated through. About 5 minutes. Take off of heat and set aside.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done baking, let cool slightly. Once cool, cut the sweet potatoes open and shred the flesh from the skin so that the inside is mashed and easy to scoop out.
- Evenly spread the black bean mixture, avocado, cilantro, and cashew crema sauce on top of the 4 sweet potatoes.
- Serve immediately and ENJOY!!
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan dinner, stuffed potato, stuffed sweet potato