Beer Cheese Soup
Beer + Cheese. I’m not sure much else needs to be said and I can probably just give you the recipe and end the post now, right?
Hah. You aren’t going to get off without hearing at least a bit of my daily rambling. Sorry!
This is actually an OLD old recipe on the blog. I’ve been wanting to re-make it for a WHILE. AND now that it is socially acceptable to eat soup (even if it was 90 degrees in Nashville this weekend) I’m eating the HECK out of some soup right now. Especially this BEER CHEESE SOUP!
Traditionally this is made by marinating the beer and broth with veggies and then discarding the veggies before eating. However, this just seemed silly to me, so instead, I put it all in a blender and blended the veggies up. Plus, the carrots give the soup a brighter, more cheesy looking color. You can also do this with an immersion blender if you have one (like I did in the video)!
I experimented with using a wheat beer instead of a darker beer on this go around. I think I like the wheat beer better but really they both taste great in this soup so use whatever sounds good to you!
How to Make this Beer Cheese Soup
The soup comes together in one big pot by first sautéing some veggies. Flour, broth, and then milk are added into the pot before being blended up. THEN the beer and cheese go in as well as some dijon and Worcestershire sauce. BAM done.
We like to keep things easy on a Sunday morning, right?
ps- I’m revamping that soft pretzel recipe as well! They taste amazing BUT I need to test it one more time. Recipe coming soon!
See how to make the soup:
Easy and Delicious Beer Cheese Soup!
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium sticks of celery, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a white onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of flour (I use all purpose flour but can sub for gluten free 1–1 flour if needed)
- 4 cups of chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 cup of milk (I used 2%)
- 12 oz of beer (I’ve tried this with Guinness as well as wheat beers)
- 2 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- Melt butter in a large pot.
- Add to the pot the carrots, celery, garlic, onion, and salt and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the flour and cook for 30 additional seconds, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the broth and milk and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Add the mixture to the blender and blend until well combined and no chunks are remaining (you can also do this with an immersion blender). Return to the pot.
- Whisk in the beer and then in hand fulls, add in all of the cheese. Continue to whisk until the cheese is well combined and melted
- Finally, whisk in the dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring mixture to a very gentle simmer and cook for 15-20 additional minutes to let thicken.
- Serve and ENJOY!
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: dinner, soup, beer