Sesame Tofu Bowls
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Sesame Tofu Bowls are an easy and DELICIOUS alternative to sesame chicken (which was always my favorite growing up!). You can make the tofu on its own OR make an entire meal out of it by paring it with a grain and some veggies. A great weeknight dinner and meal prep option.
It’s day FOUR of Tofu week and we’re making this super simple weeknight dinner favorite of mine: Sesame Tofu!
I recently wrote an entire post all about my favorite way to cook tofu (pan fried tofu) and I wanted to offer several different ways to flavor it starting with this sesame option. The tofu comes together in one skillet and is so ridiculously tasty.
I didn’t do it for this particular recipe, but you could freeze the tofu ahead of time and then thaw before cooking. I’ve tried this with other recipes and it results in a much chewier and more chicken-like texture.
When frozen, the excess water in the tofu crystalizes and creates little pockets all throughout the tofu. This helps it better absorb flavor AND slightly changes the overall texture of the dish.
How to make this sesame tofu recipe:
Start out by pressing and prepping your tofu. I have an entire guide for how to do it if you’re new to cooking tofu.
Next, steam your broccoli and start cooking your rice (or whatever grain you’re eating with this recipe.).
And now for the tofu. We’re going to pan fry the tofu in a little bit of oil so that it gets a nice and thin layer of crust on the outside. While that is cooking, the sauce ingredients are whisked together and eventually poured into the skillet with the tofu. Once thickened, you end up with a deliciously sweet sauce and a nice crunchy bite from the tofu!
More tofu recipes to try:
- Roundup of my favorite tofu recipes
- Perfect Baked Tofu
- My comprehensive guide all about different ways to cook tofu
- Tofu Tacos
- How to press tofu
- Tofu Kebabs
- Cashew Tofu Stir Fry
- Tofu Caprese Skewers
- Easy Grilled Tofu
- Sheet Pan Tofu & Veggies
- Tofu Stir Fry
- Tofu Scramble
See how to make the tofu bowls here:
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”pEGLOjck” upload-date=”2020-06-24T22:45:43.000Z” name=”Sesame Tofu Bowls” description=”Sesame Tofu Bowls” player-type=”default” override-embed=”default”]Print
These Sesame Tofu Bowls are simple to throw together and make for a filling and DELICIOUS meal!
- 14– 15 ounce block of tofu, pressed* and cut into bit sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil (I usually use olive oil)
- 3 cups of broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- For serving: grain of choice, sesame seeds, green onion
- Steam your broccoli by placing a steamer basket and 1 cup of water into a medium pan. Once the water is boiling, add in the broccoli and cover. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until the broccoli is fork tender. Set aside.
- Make the sauce by whisking together the broth, orange juice, marmalade, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat (this can also be done in a cast iron as shown in my video but I much prefer to do this in a non stick skillet), heat the oil until hot. Add in the tofu and spread in an even layer so it’s not overlapping at all. Do your best to not touch the tofu for about 5 minutes. This helps it get a nice crust on the bottom. After 5 minutes, flip and cook for a few minutes on each side (about 20 minutes total).
- Pour in the sauce and, stirring often, cook until it thickens. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the the tofu with the broccoli and a grain of choice! ENJOY!
*see my full guide on pressing tofu HERE.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan dinner, tofu recipe, tofu meal