The BEST Veggie Burger Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This is LEGIT the BEST Veggie Burger recipe that you will ever make at home and I’m so excited for you to try it! It’s ridiculously easy to throw together (and can easily be done in advance!) AND comes together with 10 simple and whole food ingredients.
This EASY Veggie Burger recipe can be sautéed, baked, or even grilled! You’re going to LOVE THESE!
If you follow me on Instagram then you know how much I have anticipated this Veggie Burger recipe going live. I worked so hard to perfect these burgers and I’m not lying when I say that they are THE. BEST. EVER!
I had originally hoped to post the recipe earlier in the summer for all of your summer grilling needs. However, I just wanted it to be perfect and that took a decent bit of testing to accomplish.
But now I can say with NO hesitation that these are THE BEST Veggie Burgers ever (have I said that yet!?) ?
One of my favorite parts about this recipe is that the burgers can be SAUTEED, BAKED, or even….GRILLED! It was really important to me to make a Grilled Veggie Burger recipe and these are so so good on the grill.
In fact, grilling them is definitely my favorite way to prepare them- especially in the summer when the last thing I want to do is stand in front of a hot stove or turn on my hot oven.
They hold up SO WELL being grilled and don’t lose their form AT ALL. (see my video for that perfect veggie burger grill flip!).
However, I’m glad that I tested these burgers on the stovetop and in the oven because it’s always nice to have options, right?
Plus, during the colder months, I *might* end up making these inside instead of firing up my grill and standing out in the cold. I’ll report back on how that turns out :)
Veggie Burger Ingredients:
The ingredients in these veggie burgers are super simple and similar to my Vegetarian Meatballs recipe.
Here are the main ingredients we’re working with:
- Onion & carrot– because I feel like every good veggie burger has carrot in it, right?
- Mushrooms– I LOVE a good mushroom veggie burger and knew that I needed some mushrooms in this particular recipe. They lend the burgers such a delicious flavor and help color them a darker color which is just fun.
- Brown rice– for my meatballs recipe, I used white rice but for this one, I much prefer brown rice and definietly recommend going with that. It’s starchier and definitely helps the burgers hold together well (particularly important if you want to grill the burgers!).
- Garlic– because I prefer garlic in pretty much everything that I cook :D
- Flour + breadcrumbs– I used plain all-purpose flour + plain breadbcrumbs. IF you’re needing a gluten free alternative, I suggest using simple gluten free bread-crumbs + gluten free all purpose 1-1 flour. I think that these would also work well with oat flour but I haven’t tested that yet.
- Italian seasoning, salt + pepper
^^^^all super simple and result in the best veggie burger ever!
How to make these vegan veggie burgers:
These burgers come together very quickly and I love them for that!
First up, we’re going to saute the onion, carrot, and mushrooms in a skillet to soften everything. The garlic gets added in and cooked another couple of minutes. All of that is then added into a food processor along with the remaining ingredients. It’s all blended up and then the mixture is formed into patties.
Those burger patties can then either be cooked in a skillet, the oven OR EVEN ON THE GRILL!
Super super easy but SO SO good! ???
Veggie Burger Toppings:
You can top your veggie burgers with whatever your favorite burger toppings are.
Here are some of my favorites:
- grilled pineapple
- avocado/ guacamole
- onion (or onion RINGS!)
- vegan mayo/ ketchup/ spicy sriracha sauce (yum!)
- so many more!
Veggie Burger Calories:
As you’ll see in my photos and in my video, I made FOUR veggie burgers out of this recipe. BUT those are 4 LARGE burgers (I like my burger to really fill out the bun). However, you could easily split the mixture into SIX burgers instead. They would be more like medium burgers in that case.
- If you make FOUR burgers, each of the burger patties (without the bun or any toppings) would be ~256 calories.
- If you make SIX burgers, each of the burger patties (without the bun or any toppings) would be ~171 calories.
AND that’s it for today’s recipe! As usual, if you end up making this recipe, PLEASE snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling to let me know what you think about the recipe! I always love to see what y’all are cooking from the blog.
Side dishes to serve with your burger:
See how to make the BEST Veggie Burger here:Print
Legit the BEST Veggie Burger recipe that you will ever make at home! Super simple ingredients and so very delicious!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped*
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced*
- 8 ounces of cremini mushrooms, sliced or roughly chopped*
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice (other rices will also work but brown rice is best and results in a burger that really sticks together well)
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour (use a 1–1 gluten free flour as needed)
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (use gluten free as needed)
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- optional burger toppings: buns, onion, avocado, tomato, etc
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute the onion, carrot, and mushrooms until soft, about 8 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the sauteed veggie mixture to a food processor along with the rice, flour, bread crumbs, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pulse until everything is combined and comes together. There will still be visible (very small) chunks of carrot and that’s okay!
- Form the mixture into 4-6 burger patties. It makes 4 larger burgers or 6 medium sized burgers.
- TO FRY: In a non- stick skillet, add in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in the burgers (working in batches if needed), and saute for about 7 minutes per side. You want them to be nicely browned on each side.
- TO BAKE: Place the burger patties on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 8 minutes, flip, and bake an additional 8 minutes.
- TO GRILL: Heat your grill to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease the grates- I usually do this by dipping a double folded paper towel in a high heat oil (avocado oil or vegetable oil) and then carefully brushing that on the grates. Place the burgers on the grill and grill for 5-7 minutes. Once you have some nice browning and grill marks on one side, flip and grill an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Serve the veggie burgers with you favorite buns and toppings and ENJOY!!
*we’ll be blending these veggies later so size doesn’t matter too much
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: grilling
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan burger, veggie burger, the best veggie burger