This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Looking for a grilling recipe that’s packed with protein AND easily grillable? I got you! This Grilled Tofu is perfect for summer grilling season and surprisingly easy to throw together. I can’t wait to hear how you like this!
As you might have guessed, I’m a pretty big fan of tofu. I know it’s not everyone’s favorite but I LOVE it and have posted quite a few tofu recipes over the past couple of years. One question that I have received a few times it “Can you grill tofu?” Why YES, Becky, you can!
This is actually the very first year that I have attempted grilled tofu and I’m officially hooked! I love the smokey crust that the tofu gets after being on the grill for a bit. It’s ridiculously easy to throw together and surprisingly SO GOOD! This is perfect for barbecues and taking to cookouts when you’re not sure if there will be any veggie protein options (grilled corn is great but you don’t want to get stuck with a plate full of sides, amiright? mmm….summer grilled sides are pretty good actually).
How to Grill Tofu:
This is SO SIMPLE and you’re going to love it!
First you’ll need to press your tofu to remove excess moisture. I resisted getting a tofu press for a LONG time but finally caved in and honestly, it’s a (n inexpensive) kitchen gadget worth having if you cook with tofu on a regular basis. I have THIS simple one and love it.
The grilled tofu marinade is a mix of soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and olive oil. I know it doesn’t really make sense to add liquid smoke to a recipe that you are going to put on the grill but I tried this both ways and just really like the extra smokey-ness that the liquid smoke offers. You can totally skip it though!
Every time that I tested this, I let the tofu marinate overnight but you could do it for just a few hours if necessary. I like that this is easy to throw together and take with you to a party to be grilled there. I promise that you’re going to be making this grilled tofu ALL SUMMER LONG!
So after the tofu marinates, just throw it on the grill and let it cook over a high heat for about 8-10 minutes per side. Mine stuck to the grill just a *tiny* but so I used a metal spatula to careful scrape it away from the grate and it was perfect.
While I’m at it, I love to cook this with a few summer veggies as well. I actually toss the veggies in the same marinade to give them a little flavor and so that they have some oil on them. Seriously love love love how easy and delicious this whole meal is.
Side dishes to go with your grilled tofu:
More Tofu recipes you’ll love:
- How to Cook Tofu (every which way!)
- Tofu Tacos
- Copycat Chipotle Sofritas
- Easy Sauteed Tofu with Tahini Sauce
- Tofu Caprese Skewers
- Cashew Tofu Stir Fry
- Perfect Baked Tofu
- Tofu Kebabs
- Sheet Pan Tofu & Veggies
- Tofu Scramble
See how to make the Grilled Tofu here:Print
This Grilled Tofu is simple to make and perfect for summer grilling season!
- 1 package extra firm tofu (mine was 14 oz but a little more or less is perfectly fine)
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke (optional)
- Start by pressing your tofu. I like to use a tofu press for this but you can also do it by wrapping the tofu in a towel or paper towels, placing it on a plate, and then weighing it down with a heavy skillet for 30 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch wide stripes (see video above). I got about 8 out of mine. You don’t want them to be too thin or they’ll fall apart on the grill.
- Make the tofu marinade by whisking together the soy sauce, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, fine sea salt, black pepper, and optional liquid smoke.*
- Place the tofu in a sealable container and cover with the marinade. The marinate for a few hours or even overnight. When possible, I like to flip the tofu pieces over and move them around so that all of the tofu is getting to soak in the liquid.
- Pre-heat your grill to 450 degrees F and brush the grate with oil. Place the tofu on the grill and grill for 8-10 minutes on each side. It’s done when both sides has firmed up a bit and has some nice grill marks.
- Serve with some grilled veggies** and ENJOY!
*I know it seems funny to put liquid smoke on a recipe that is actually going on the grill but for this, I just really like the added flavor.
**I tossed a sliced zucchini and belle pepper in the same leftover marinade as the tofu and then grilled them for the same amount of time as the tofu. So simple and SO GOOD!
- Prep Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian grilling
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan grilling, grilled tofu, how to grill tofu
This post contains affiliate links which means that I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you purchase something through my link. I promise that I’ll put the money to good use (I’ve been eyeing one of those hidden wine bag purses ;))