Can you Freeze Sour Cream?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Have an excess of sour cream and not sure what to do with it? FREEZE IT! If you’ve ever found yourself wondering “can sour cream be frozen!?” then read on to learn everything you need to know about freezing sour cream.
We really love sour cream in our house. I mean, maybe a little too much but I digress.
If you’re like me, you often have a decent bit of sour cream left over and you don’t want it to go bad before you can use it all up. My suggestion: FREEZE IT!
I’m going to teach you everything that you need to know about freezing sour cream including how to thaw it out. There are a few caveats so I suggest giving it all a read before proceeding.
How to freeze sour cream:
I have 2 suggestions for freezing your sour cream:
- Freeze the sour cream in it’s original tub- most often, this is what I do, seal the container and throw the whole thing in the fridge.
- Freeze the sour cream in smaller portions- I like to do this by placing the sour cream into ice cube trays and then placing it in the freezer.
How to thaw frozen sour cream:
Thaw frozen sour cream by placing it in the fridge. It takes a few hours to fully thaw but I typically try and take it out of the freezer to thaw overnight.
You don’t need to do anything special besides just place it in the fridge!
How long does it last in the freezer?
Sour cream can last in the freezer for about 6 months.
Does freezing sour cream change the texture?
Yes! When you freeze and then thaw sour cream, it does change the texture a bit. Once thawed and stirred together, it will be thinner and less creamy. I DO NOT suggest using frozen sour cream in taco, on soup, or anywhere where you really want the creamy consistency. Instead, use it in recipes that call for sour cream to be mixed in.
Here’s a video that I made to show you the different consistencies:Print
Learn how simple and easy it is to freeze leftover sour cream for later use!
- sour cream
- Choose to freeze sour cream in it’s original container OR in smaller cubes.
- To freeze it in it’s original container: I only suggest doing this IF you plan to use it all up when you unfreeze it. I DO NOT suggest re-freezing already frozen sour cream. Simply seal the container and place it in the freezer.
- To freeze it in smaller portions: find smaller containers OR an ice cube tray. Portion the sour cream out and seal those containers. If using an ice cube tray, freeze and then shortly after recomve the subes and place them in an air tight container. Place it in the freezer.
- To thaw: place in the fridge to thaw for a few hours or even overnight. When ready to use, mix thoroughly.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: frozen
- Method: freezing
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: how to freeze sour cream, frozen sour cream, sour cream