French Onion Grilled Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Like the average person, I LOVE a good grilled cheese. Grilled cheese with soup, grilled cheese on a cold and snowy day, grilled cheese in the summer. Grilled cheese for every single meal. Yes. Please!
And while I’m a huge fan of a classic American cheese grilled cheese, I also love to level things up every once in a while.
ENTER: this Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese!
Hopefully you don’t need any further convincing because 1) CHEESE and 2) caramelized onions. I’m here for it ALL. But let’s break this down a little more for those that need it.
CHEESE- we’re using some GOOD cheese for this sandwich because this grilled cheese is BOUJEE. I’m using a gruyere but I think that Swiss or a cheddar would be really nice as well.
We’ll start by caramelizing the onions. This process is super simple BUT it does require some patience. All together, it takes about an hour. Once the onions are done, the grilled cheese comes together in just a few minutes.
When assembling the sandwich, I like to add 2/3 of the cheese, top with the caramelized onions, and then top with the remaining cheese. This makes it so that there’s cheese on wither side to really bind the whole thing together.
That’s it for today! If you end up making this grilled cheese, PLEASE tag me on social media @foodwithfeeling !Print
This French Onion Grilled Cheese is super simple to make and absolutely delicious! A great way to level up your grilled cheese game!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 thick slices of your favorite bread
- 2 tablespoon of room temperature butter
- 1 cup of shredded Gruyere cheese, lightly packed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of sugar
- In a skillet or saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Once hot, add in the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 50-60 minutes. Halfway through cooking, add a pinch of sugar and a dash of salt. If the onions begin to burn at all, turn the heat down lower. The idea here is low and slow.
- When the onions are nearly done, prepare the bread. Butter one side of each piece of bread and then place the pieces butter side down. Top 2 slices with 1/3 cup of the cheese each (leaving 1/3 of the cheese remaining).
- Once the onions are done, divided them evenly on top of the two pieces of cheesy bread. Divide the remaining cheese evenly among the 2 sandwiches. Add black pepper to taste and then top with the other slices of bread, butter side up.
- Lightly clean out the skillet used for the onions and put over medium-low heat. Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: sandwiches
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 803
- Sugar: 15.8 g
- Sodium: 2244.2 mg
- Fat: 43.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 71.6 g
- Protein: 31.6 g
- Cholesterol: 103.1 mg
Keywords: grilled cheese, gruyere grilled cheese