Homemade Enchilada Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Homemade Enchilada Sauce is fully vegan and made with just a handful of simple pantry staple ingredients! Making this sauce at home is so easy and comes together in just a few quick minutes.
Now that I’ve shared quite a few delicious recipes on my blog that utilize enchilada sauce, I figured that it was time I had a dedicated post to my FAVORITE homemade enchilada sauce!
Once of the best things about this sauce is that it so ridiculously easy AND comes together with all ingredients that you probably already have on hand right now!
How to Make Enchilada Sauce:
Part of what I love about this enchilada sauce is how EASY it is to make! The whole thing comes together in one small saucepan. First the oil and flour are heated and then the tomato sauce, broth, and spices are added in. The whole thing is simmered for about 15 minutes and then it’s DONE.
I got this recipe from an old vegan cookbook that I checked out from the library. It’s simple. It’s easy. And it’s SO good. I like it because it’s easy to adjust the heat levels if you want it extra spicy or even extra mild.
I plan to do lots of yummy things with this enchilada sauce on the blog in the coming months so be prepared :)
Exhibit #1: Loaded Veggie Vegan Enchiladas
Exhibit #2: JACKFRUIT Enchiladas! OMG 😍
That’s all I have for today! As usual, if you end up making this vegan enchilada sauce, please snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I love seeing what y’all are making!
See how to make the enchilada sauce here:
Super simple and delicious homemade enchilada sauce!
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the spices (including the espresso powder) and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and whisk in the flour. Let cook for just a minute until the flour is completely absorbed and just as it begins to brown.
- Add in the tomato sauce, broth, and spices. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once done, remove from heat and either use immediately or store for later.
- Category: sauce
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: enchilada sauce, homemade, vegan enchilada sauce