This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Looking for enchiladas that are as close to the classic as possible while also being VEGAN and completely meat free? Look no further because these Jackfruit Enchiladas are BOMB and the most amazing vegetarian take out enchiladas! I can’t wait for you to try these!
I teased these enchiladas on my Instagram a couple of weeks ago and got SO SO MANY people asking for the recipe. I got it up as fast as I could and I’m thrilled that so many of your are as excited about jackfruit as I am :)
I have a few jackfruit recipes up already including Jackfruit BBQ, Jackfruit Pot Roast (OMG SO GOOD!) and even a whole roundup of my favorite jackfruit recipes. Admittedly, these jackfruit enchiladas are easily my new favorite. But, you should probably give all of those recipe a try.
I have another vegan enchiladas recipe that’s super good! But, for these enchiladas, I wanted a recipe that very closely mirrored traditional (and by that I mean Americanized) enchiladas like what so many of us grew up eating. To do this, I kept things super simple and simply swapped the shredded/diced chicken with shredded jackfruit.
Seriously LOVE how well the jackfruit works in this recipe in place of chicken. Such a fun and easy way to make a recipe plant based!
Ingredients we’re working with:
- Tortillas: I used large flour tortillas for this recipe. However, corn tortillas would definitely work if you wanted to make a more traditional enchilada recipe. You could also use smaller sized tortillas but you would obviously want to put less of the ingredients into each enchilada.
- Enchilada sauce: I used my homemade enchilada sauce but you could definitely use store bought if that’s easier!
- Jackfruit: I typically buy jackfruit when I go to Trader Joe’s. I really like their brand and it’s a really good price but if you don’t have access to Trader Joe’s then you can also order it online!
- Green chiles and onion
- Black beans: i just love black beans in my enchiladas :)
As usual, if you end up making this recipe, PLEASE snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I ALWAYS love to see what y’all are making from the blog!
See how to make the enchiladas here:Print
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 20-ounce cans of jackfruit, drained and trimmed of core*
- 1 4-oz can of diced green chiles
- 1 15-oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups of enchilada sauce
- optional for topping: vegan cheese, avocado, red onion, tomatoes, vegan sour cream etc.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare your jackfruit but first cutting off the core. It’s the harder part of the pieces and you want to cut all of it off and discard. See my video for reference. Then take the remaining part and shred it with your fingers or forks. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion and cook for 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute 2 additional minutes.
- Stir in the shredded jackfruit and green chiles and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 additional minute, stirring often. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- To assemble the enchiladas, spread 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce over the half of the tortilla and then top with 2 tablespoons of black beans and ~1/3 cup of the jackfruit mixture. I like to keep all of the filling to 1/2 of the tortilla to make rolling easier. Gently tuck the ingredients in as you roll the tortilla over the fillings. Place in the prepared pan.
- Top the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and spread it out evenly over the top of the enchiladas. If using, add on the cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tortillas are just beginning to brown around the edges.
- Top with your favorite toppings and ENJOY!
*see video for reference about how to cut the jackfruit.
If you have slightly different sized cans of jackfruit, that’s fine
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan enchiladas, jackfruit recipe, jackfruit enchiladas