Jackfruit Pot Roast
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Jackfruit Pot Roast– I hope you’re ready for an easy and DELICIOUS vegan holiday meal that’s a mimic of classic pot roast and something that even meat eaters will love.
I shared a teaser video of this jackfruit Pot Roast on my inst stories a couple of weeks ago and got SO. MANY. MESSAGES. from people wanting the recipe. The story was actually watched over 40,000 times which is quite high for me. I wasn’t originally planning to share the recipe here on the blog but since it was so highly requested, I figured I would go ahead and put the recipe out into the world.
My motivation for this recipe was to provide a fun, easy, and somewhat classic option for vegetarians around the holidays. Growing up, we ate a lot of roasts in the winter months and I wanted to re-create the dish but with a meatless option. ENTER my new favorite friend: jackfruit!
Jackfruit does such a great job of mimicking meat and acts as a great substitute for chicken, pork, and beef in recipes. I have a roundup of a ton of great jackfruit recipes if you want to try out some others. I’m a HUGE fan of these BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches.
Isn’t it crazy how much this looks like pot roast? I love it for this :) The savory sauce really helps it tastes like traditional pot roast as well.
How to make this Jackfruit Pot Roast:
This vegan pot roast comes together much like traditional pot roast and it’s overall super simple to make
We’ll start by sautéing the onion, garlic, and jackfruit for about 5 minutes before adding in the remaining ingredients to make up the sauce. That simmers together for a few more minutes to thicken into a delicious gravy.
The chopped carrots and potatoes go straight into the baking dish and then the jackfruit and gravy mixture is poured on top.
That is all baked for about 40 minutes or until the veggies are fork tender and ready to eat.
When it comes out of the oven, it looks a little sloppy (see photo above) so to give it a prettier presentation, I scooped out all/ most of the jackfruit and placed that on a plate. I then transferred the veggies to a separate several bowl/ tray and then topped it with the jackfruit in the middle and drizzled on any remaining gravy.
SUPER simple and so so tasty!
I’m ridiculously excited to see y’all making this vegan pot roast for the upcoming holiday season! I know you’re going to love this and everyone will be shocked that it’s fully vegan :D WIN WIN!
And if you do make this recipe, PLEASE please don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram! @foodwithfeeling ! I absolutely love to see you all making my recipes :)Print
A vegan take on a classic: Jackfruit Pot Roast
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced into 1 inch chunks
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of dry red wine (can sub for additional broth)
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 cups of veggie broth
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 pound of red potatoes cut into quarters or halves depending on preferred size
- 1 pound of baby carrots
- 18 ounces of young jackfruit (if you buy jackfruit in a can, look to get 18 ounces of DRAINED jackfruit)*
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In an extra large skillet or stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for one additional minute. Add in the jackfruit and cook over medium for one more minute.
- Now add in the red wine, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer.
- In a measuring cup/ bowl, whisk together the broth and cornstarch until fully combined and then mix into the skillet with the jackfruit. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour the jackfruit mixture over top of the carrots and potatoes and bake for 40 minutes or until the veggies are fork tender and ready to eat. Let cool slightly and enjoy!
- For a prettier presentation like in my photos: remove as much of the jackfruit as possible to a separate plate. Spoon the veggies onto a serving tray and then top with the jackfruit in the middle. You can pour any remaining sauce over the top or serve it on the side as a gravy. YUM!
- I bought 2 packages (18 ounces total) of the Jackfruit Company Lightly Seasoned Jackfruit and really like that kind for this recipe. You can actually get it on amazon HERE
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan holiday meal, vegan thanksgiving main, vegan main dish, jackfruit recipe