Easy Tofu Tacos
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Gearing up for Taco Tuesday!? Then you NEED to try these EASY Tofu Tacos that are filled with a delicious tofu and quinoa taco meat and topped with all of your favorite toppings. It’s super simple to throw together and really hits the spot when you’re craving some good and filling tacos.
Tofu Tacos! Bear with me for a minute because I know that there are a lot of people out there who are not totally on the tofu train. I get it. I wasn’t really that into tofu until the past couple of years but it has recently become a regular in our house and I’m NOT complaining about it one bit.
This vegan taco meat consists of tofu crumbles + onion & garlic + quinoa + taco spices. It’s super simple and surprisingly delicious. Even I was pretty skeptical at first but I really want to try making taco meat with tofu. I have THIS recipe for Tempeh Tacos but if I have to be honest, these tofu tacos are even BETTER!
The consistency of this taco meat more closely mimics beef tacos. The quinoa gives it a little bit of crunch to it which I love.
It also keeps well for a few days so it’s great for vegan meal prep or just making dinner a bit in advance. I love having it on hand for easy meals that I can throw together in a few minutes. We eat a LOT of tacos in the Britnell household and no one is ever complaining about it :)
Ingredients in these tofu tacos:
- Tofu– you’ll want to use firm or extra firm tofu in this recipe. Silken WILL NOT work!
- Quinoa– the recipe calls for a cup of cooked quinoa. I often like to make this recipe when I’ve got some extra quinoa lying around in the fridge. But if you need to make it fresh, I highly suggest doing it in the Instant pot using this recipe.
- Onion & garlic– you could increase or decrease the quantities of the onion and garlic in this recipe depending on your preference. I LOVE the extra flavor that they bring to the tacos.
- Spices– if desired, you could actually use a few tablespoons of store bought taco seasoning here to make this super quick and easy. But if you want to make your own, I’m using some simple spices including chili powder, onion and garlic powder, paprika, oregano and cumin.
- All of your FAV taco toppings :D
How to make this Vegan Taco Meat:
AS most of my recipes go, this one is super easy!
Sautee onion + garlic in a little olive oil.
Add in cooked quinoa and then crumble in your tofu. I use half a block of tofu so that this serves 2 hungry adults. BUT you could certainly double the recipe to use up all of your tofu and have extra taco meat.
Then we add in the taco seasonings. You can simple add in a pre-made taco seasoning OR follow my recipe below which includes: chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, red chili flakes, and oregano. Simple and delicious!
Since the quinoa is already cooked, all we’re really doing at this point is letting the spices infuse into the vegan taco meat and heating everything through. I usually let it sit on the stove for about 5 minutes.
That’s it! Load up your tacos and EAT!
As usual, PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you end up making this vegan taco meat recipe (or any of my recipes!). I love when you tag me on Instagram!
More Vegetarian Tacos that you might like:
- Vegan Crispy Chick/n Tacos
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tacos
- Baked Avocado Tacos
- Sheet Pan Squash Tacos
More Tofu recipes you’ll love:
- How to Cook Tofu (every which way!)
- Copycat Chipotle Sofritas
- Easy Sauteed Tofu with Tahini Sauce
- Tofu Caprese Skewers
- Cashew Tofu Stir Fry
- Perfect Baked Tofu
- Tofu Kebabs
- How to Grill Tofu
- Sheet Pan Tofu & Veggies
- Tofu Scramble
See how to make the quinoa tofu taco meat here:
Everyone will love these super simple Tofu Tacos!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ~8 ounces of tofu (about half of a 15 ounce block of tofu)
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup of chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pat the tofu dry (no need to press it*) and crumble it into small bite sized pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic and sautee for 5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add in the quinoa, tofu crumbles, and spices. Stir and continue to cook for 5 minutes until completely heated through.
- Enjoy with you favorite taco dishes!
*Cooking it in the skillet really does a great job of steaming the excess moisture out of the tofu but feel free to press it a little if you’d like!
- Category: tacos
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan, tofu, taco