Easy Tofu Tacos
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Gearing up for Taco Tuesday!? Then you NEED to try these EASY Tofu Tacos that are filled with a delicious tofu taco meat and topped with all of your favorite toppings. It’s super simple to throw together and really hits the spot when you’re craving some good and filling tacos.
Tofu Tacos! Bear with me for a minute because I know that there are a lot of people out there who are not totally on the tofu train. I get it. I wasn’t really that into tofu until the past couple of years but it has recently become a regular in our house and I’m NOT complaining about it one bit.
This vegan taco meat consists of tofu crumbles + taco seasoning + olive oil + salsa. It’s super simple and surprisingly delicious. Even I was pretty skeptical at first but I really want to try making taco meat with tofu. I have THIS recipe for Tempeh Tacos but if I have to be honest, these tofu tacos are even BETTER!
The consistency of this taco meat more closely mimics ground turkey/ chicken tacos. When it’s cooked in a nonstick skillet, it gets a little crispy around the edges and the salsa gives it this really juicy flavor that’s DELICIOUS!
It also keeps well for a few days so it’s great for vegan meal prep or just making dinner a bit in advance. I love having it on hand for easy meals that I can throw together in a few minutes. We eat a LOT of tacos my house and no one is ever complaining about it :)
Just FOUR ingredients in these tacos:
- Tofu– you’ll want to use firm or extra firm tofu in this recipe (I actually used a SUPER firm tofu from Trader Joes because it’s one of my favorites). Silken WILL NOT work so don’t even think about it!
- Taco Seasoning– for ease, I almost always use a storebought taco seasoning packet. It makes the whole recipe feel SO effortless to me. However, HERE is a great recipe for homemade taco seasoning from my friend Gina if you’d like to make your own.
- Olive oil– this helps keep the tofu from sticking to the pan
- Salsa– this is my secret ingredient to TRULY delicious tofu tacos! It’s not totally necessary for the recipe but HIGHLY recommended. The salsa gives the taco meat a really juicy texture that more closely mimics traditional meat tacos.
- All of your FAV taco toppings :D
How to make this Vegan Taco Meat:
One of the things that I love most about these tacos is that they’re SUPER easy to throw together!
Start out by crumbling the tofu into small chunks (you want them to be about the size of traditional ground meat). I use my hands to break it apart into a large bowl. Then sprinkle on the taco seasoning and drizzle with some olive oil. Toss that all together so that the tofu is fully coated in the seasoning.
Place the tofu into a large non stick skillet over medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes so that the tofu gets browned and a little crispy around the edges.
The last step is to mix in the salsa and cook for another couple of minutes!
THAT’S IT! SUPER simple and seriously SO delicious! I can’t wait for you to give these tacos a try!
As usual, PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you end up making this vegan taco meat recipe (or any of my recipes!). I love when you tag me on Instagram!
More Vegetarian Tacos that you might like:
More Tofu recipes you’ll love:
- How to Cook Tofu (every which way!)
- Copycat Chipotle Sofritas
- Easy Sauteed Tofu with Tahini Sauce
- Tofu Caprese Skewers
- Cashew Tofu Stir Fry
- Perfect Baked Tofu
- Tofu Kebabs
- How to Grill Tofu
- Sheet Pan Tofu & Veggies
- Tofu Scramble
See how to make quinoa tofu taco meat here:
Everyone will love these super simple Tofu Tacos!
- 15 oz of firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite salsa
- Pat the tofu dry (no need to press it*) and crumble it into small bite sized pieces.
- In the same bowl with the tofu, mix in the olive oil and taco seasoning and mix until the tofu is fully coated.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and once hot, add in the tofu crumbles. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until the tofu is browned and a little crispy on the edges. If it starts to stick, you can add in a little oil.
- Stir in the salsa and cook for 2 additional minutes. Remove from the heat and serve.
- Enjoy with you favorite taco toppings!
*Cooking it in the skillet really does a great job of steaming the excess moisture out of the tofu but feel free to press it a little if you’d like!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: tacos
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 268
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 410.2 mg
- Fat: 17.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.4 g
- Protein: 20.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan, tofu, taco