This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This BBQ jackfruit is over-the-top flavorful and guaranteed to be a family favorite! It’s easy, delicious and just like real BBQ pulled pork! Jackfruit pulled pork is made with seasoned jackfruit that is sautéed in a skillet until tender and then tossed with BBQ sauce. Serve the pulled jackfruit piled on toasted buns with coleslaw, over a salad, stuffed in a baked potato or in a wrap. The options are endless!
GUYS! I’ve been so excited to share this jackfruit pulled pork recipe with you! Have you tried jackfruit? It’s relatively new to me and I’m loving it. I haven’t tried it raw and directly from the fruit, but the young, canned jackfruit is my new bff! ?
I’ve had jackfruit pulled pork at vegan restaurants a few times and was so excited to try making it at home. I found the cans of young jackfruit at Trader Joe’s, but if you don’t have one in your area and aren’t able to find it anywhere else, you can get it HERE on Amazon (Amazon for the win!).
I bought a ridiculous amount of jackfruit recently and have so many recipe ideas that I can’t wait to work on! So, be on the lookout for quite a few more jackfruit recipes in the near future. ?
After a bit of trial and error making BBQ jackfruit, we’ve got a winner! You’re going to want to add this pulled jackfruit recipe to your regular meal rotation!
It requires less than 10 ingredients, is surprisingly easy to make, can be eaten in so many different ways, and is a total crowd pleaser. Let’s jump in!
But wait, what is jackfruit anyways?
Jackfruit is a large tropical fruit that’s relatively inexpensive to buy whole. You can eat it raw, like other fruits. The jackfruit that we’re using in this particular recipe (and that is typically used in meat replacement recipes like this) is young GREEN jackfruit.
I won’t pretend to be an expert on jackfruit, but if you want to learn more, HERE is a more detailed description!
Jackfruit Pulled Pork Ingredients:
Aside from the canned jackfruit and maybe liquid smoke, you probably have all of the ingredients for this recipe in your kitchen! Here’s the lineup:
- Canned jackfruit. Unripened jackfruit (which is what we’re using) has a neutral and a meat-like texture. This recipe calls for 40-ounces of jackfruit, which is about two large cans.
- Spices. A mix of garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and paprika is the perfect blend of delicious spices for jackfruit pulled pork.
- Liquid smoke. This will give our vegan pulled pork that classic smoky flavor that we love in real pulled pork. You can find this near spices and seasonings at the grocery store. It is an optional ingredient, so feel free to omit it if you don’t have it available.
- Brown sugar. For a touch of sweetness!
- Olive oil. A small amount of fat is needed to get the jackfruit sautéing.
- BBQ sauce. Use any favorite BBQ sauce.
How to make this BBQ Jackfruit Recipe:
This recipe is so super simple! Below, you’ll find a rundown of the basic instructions and then you can find the full jackfruit pulled pork recipe at the bottom of the page.
Start this recipe by draining, rinsing, and lightly patting dry the canned jackfruit. Cut off the core of the jackfruit pieces (the pointed part) as they don’t taste or shred well (it’s similar to the core of a pineapple). See photo above for reference.
Place the jackfruit in a large bowl and shred it a bit with two forks (we will shred it more as it cooks). Then, toss it with the spices, liquid smoke and brown sugar until fully coated.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Transfer the seasoned jackfruit to the skillet and cook until warmed through. As the jackfruit cooks, stir often and break it up more with the back of a wooden spoon or with two forks.
Pour the BBQ sauce into the skillet and mix thoroughly, so that the jackfruit is fully coated.
Now, just serve it up and ENJOY! Surprisingly easy, right?
Guys, even my mom liked this jackfruit recipe and she’s one of those people that is instantly turned off by any faux meat or any recipe with the word “vegan” in it. lol. So, what I’m saying is: you need it in your life!
I highly recommend serving this with the Homemade Vegan Coleslaw that I posted recently ;)
SO good and the whole thing is just so easy to throw together! It’s also super versatile… I’ll definitely be making this on repeat and I know you will be too!
Ways to Serve Jackfruit Pulled Pork
There are a variety of ways to make this pulled jackfruit into a meal other than sandwiches! Here are more delicious options:
- Main course. Serve pulled jackfruit with a variety of sides, like baked vegan mac and cheese, vegan mashed potatoes, beans or whatever other sides you’re craving.
- Stuffed potatoes. Roast up some russet potatoes or sweet potatoes and stuff them with the pulled jackfruit. You can top them with vegan cheese or coleslaw.
- Salad. For a lighter meal option, make a BBQ jackfruit salad.
- Nachos. Use leftover jackfruit to make BBQ jackfruit nachos along with other toppings.
- Pizza. Make your own pizza with leftover BBQ jackfruit, extra BBQ sauce, and other pizza toppings.
As usual, PLEASE let me know if you make this recipe and how you like it! You can come back here and leave a comment or tag me on instagram (@foodwithfeeling).
More Favorite Jackfruit Recipes
Vegan side dishes that pair great with BBQ Jackfruit:
See how to make the BBQ Jackfruit:
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”f45Ezugq” upload-date=”2019-07-18T02:54:02.000Z” name=”BBQ Jackfruit” description=”BBQ Jackfruit”]Print
Easy BBQ Jackfruit that is easy to make and a delicious meatless meal!
- 40 oz of jackfruit (roughly 2 large cans), in water or brine
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup of bbq sauce
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit and then lightly pat it dry. Cut off the core so that you’re only left with the outer parts that are the ones easy to shred. The core is the part that comes to a point (see photo above).
- Place the jackfruit in a large bowl and lightly shred with 2 forks (we’ll shred it a bit more while it cooks). Mix in the garlic powder, chili powder, salt, liquid smoke, paprika, and brown sugar. Toss to fully coat the jackfruit.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and once hot, add in the jackfruit. Cook for about 5 minutes to heat through, stirring often. As it cooks, break up the jackfruit more with the back of a wooden spoon or using the same forks.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the bbq sauce.
- Serve and ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: jackfruit recipe, bbq jackfruit, jackfruit pulled pork