Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Even mushroom skeptics will love this Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions recipe! It’s so simple to make and absolutely packed with flavor. It is great topped on a main dish or even on it’s own as a side dish.
Hopefully you know by now HOW MUCH I love mushrooms. I’ve been posting lots of delicious mushroom recipes lately such as these Sautéed Baby Bella Mushrooms, this Mushroom Bourguignon, this mushroom risotto AND this portobello mushroom fajitas. ALL so good and I just can’t get enough mushrooms in my life :)
Luckily for me, I live in the rainy PNW where mushrooms grow everywhere and are so readily available at grocery stores. Needless to say, I have LOTS of delicious mushroom recipes planned for the coming months.
I used cremini/ baby bella mushrooms in this recipe as well as a large sweet onion. However, other types of mushrooms and onions would work well in this recipe so use what you have on hand. But, these simple brown mushrooms are the most common ones that you find at grocery stores so I definitely suggest starting with those. Simple white mushrooms would also work well.
This recipe is super simple but lets quickly break it down.
How to Saute Mushrooms and Onions:
When I make this recipe, I like my mushrooms and onions to be lightly sautéed as opposed to deeply browned and almost caramelized. However, this recipe can work both ways.
Simple heat the oil over medium heat and add in the onion. It will take longer to cook/ caramelize so you want to add that in first. I usually saute the onion for about 8 minutes but you can cook it for a solid 20-30 minutes if you want it softer and more caramelized.
Once ready, add in the mushrooms and butter and cook until the mushrooms have softened and started to turn a deeper brown color. Finally, add in the remaining ingredients and cook for another few minutes.
And that’s it! Super simple to make but just absolutely packed with flavor! My husband likes to eat this on top of a steak but I’ve also tried it on top of grilled tofu and it was so so good!
That’s it for today! As usual, PLEASE let me know if you make this recipe and how you like it! You can come back here and leave a comment or tag me on instagram (@foodwithfeeling).
These Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions are simple to make and such a delicious main dish topper or even a side dish!
- 1 pound of baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
- 1 medium or large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter (vegan as desired)
- ½ cup of broth (I prefer veggie but chicken or beef also work well) OR ½ cup of white wine
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh herbs, I prefer thyme (other fresh herbs work well here as well!)
- Optional squeeze of lemon juice
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion and saute for 8 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add in the butter and the mushrooms and saute for an additional 5 minutes. Mix in the garlic, salt + pepper, wine/ broth, herbs, and lemon juice. Cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with additional herbs. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushrooms recipe, mushrooms and onions, sautéed mushrooms and onions