Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tostada
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
oh hey! HI! Welcome to my bright and shiny new blog!! How about a few more exclamation points!!!!!
It has been a long time in the making and I’m excited to finally have it up and running. My plan is to post a new recipe every Tuesday and Thursday and a new recipe video at some point each week.
We’re celebrating the NEW site, with a new recipe (finally!) for these Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tostadas. I’m using the same black bean mixture that we used in THESE Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. It’s simple and I’m really into the flavor.
Most recipes for tostadas have you toast your own corn tortillas. I found them pre-made at the store and since it was cheaper than buying a big bag of corn tortillas, I went with it. Saved some money, saved some time!
I’m not huge on meal prep BUT this dish is one that works well made ahead of time. The sweet potatoes can be mashed and stored in the fridge and the black bean mixture can be made and stored as well. Then to eat, just head both of them up and put on top of the tostada shell.
That’s all I have today! Super excited to start sharing recipes with you on a regular basis again and VERY excited about my new blog!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, finely diced (about 1 cup diced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil (I used olive oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 tostadas**
- optional for topping: avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, salsa, sour cream
- Prepare sweet potatoes- Cook by either chopping them into small chunks (peeling skins ahead of time) and boiling them until tender OR poking a few holes in each and roasting them in the oven at 400 degree F for about 45 minutes or until fork tender, remove skins. Once sweet potato has cooled a bit, mash with a fork until no lumps remain.
- Make your black bean mixture- heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and then add in onion. Saute for 5 minutes until the onions begins to become translucent. Add in the garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and sea salt and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add the black beans to the skillet and toss to combine. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the black beans are fully heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Assemble Tostadas- spread the mashed sweet potato evenly on top of each tostada shell and then top with the black bean mixture, evenly spread out.
**Out of laziness, I use the pre-made tostada shells, but you can make them at home by simply frying corn tortillas in a little bit of oil until crispy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes