Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Looking for a classic mashed potato recipe that’s creamy and delicious while also being FULLY Vegan!? THIS is the recipe that you’ve been looking for. Seriously obsessed with these potatoes and they’re made with just a few simple ingredients!
I’ve been making a version of these Vegan Mashed Potatoes for YEARS and can’t believe that I am only just now posting the recipe. Over the years, I’ve tried various dairy-free mashed potato recipes and they were ALL disappointing to me. I always ended up making large tweaks to those recipe to get them creamy and tasty. So, I figured that it was time for me to perfect my version of the recipe and make it official on the blog :)
I mean, look at this perfect creaminess:
Growing up, I always watched my grandmother put mayo into her mashed potatoes. She said that it was her secret ingredient and I simply can’t make mashed potatoes without it.
I’m serious! If you’re skeptical of mayo in your potatoes, just give it ONE TRY! I’m positive that you’ll LOVE IT!
HOWEVER, you you really want to leave it out, you can swap the mayo for a little bit of extra butter.
How to make Vegan Mashed Potatoes:
Homemade mashed potatoes are super simple to make.
Once the potatoes are peeled and chopped, the only thing left to really do is cook the potatoes. I do this by covering them with cold water and bring it to a boil. Let them simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Once the potatoes are cooked and then drained of the water, I pour them back into the same pot (or you can put them in a large bowl), and add the butter in whole. The heat from the potatoes will melt the melt quickly.
You can mash the potatoes using a potato masher OR blend them with a hand mixer which is my preferred method. Once the potatoes are blended with little to no lumps left, add in the mayo as well as salt and pepper to taste. Mix and you’re DONE!
That’s it for today! As always, if you end up making this recipe, please snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always love to see what y’all are making from the blog!
See how to make the Vegan Mashed Potatoes here:
- 2 ½ pounds of yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced it large chunks (about 4–6 pieces per potato)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ⅓ cup of non-dairy milk
- ⅓ cup of vegan mayo
- ¼ cup of vegan butter, at room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place your peeled and chopped potatoes into a large pot and cover with water. You want the potatoes fully covered with about an inch of water above the potatoes. Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Place on the stove and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 15-20 minutes. Once done, drain water and return the potatoes to the pot.
- Add the softened butter to the pot with the potatoes and mash with a potato masher OR by using an electric beater. Mash until creamy and little or no chunks remain.
- Stir in the mayo and salt and pepper to taste. I like to start with about 1/4 teaspoon of fine sea salt and a little pepper and then add more, tasting as I go.
- Serve and ENJOY!
- Category: side dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan side dish, vegan mashed potatoes, vegan thanksgiving