This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This EASY Vegan Gravy recipe comes together in just about 15 quick minutes and with a handful of simple. whole-foods ingredients. This is perfect on top of mashed potatoes or used in any other way that you love enjoying homemade gravy!
Last week I posted my Vegan Mashed Potatoes recipe on the blog so surely you knew that the Vegan Gravy was coming as well :)
I actually worked on this recipe last year and made a version of it for a vegan friends-giving BUT just never got around to posting it. With the start of fall, I’m already thinking about my holiday menus and 100% this Vegan Gravy will be on it. Super simple and SO GOOD!
You can make the gravy 2 different ways: super creamy or a little chunky. I like to blend my gravy with a hand mixer to get it nice and smooth BUT, to keep things simpler, you can also skip the blending stage and just leave in the small chunks of onion and garlic. If you’re not going to blend it, I suggest making sure that you chop the onion and garlic very small.
Here are the ingredients we’re working with for this vegetarian gravy:
- Olive oil– I really like the bit of flavor that the olive oil provides but you could use other, tasteless oils, as well.
- Onion + garlic– I debated making this with just onion and garlic powder but I REALLY love the freshness that you get using the real stuff. White or sweet onion works well here but I would not use red onion.
- Flour– I used all purpose flour but you could swap it for a gluten free 1-1 flour OR a slightly smaller amount of oat flour.
- Nutritional yeast– I tested this without the nutritional yeast and it just isn’t the same. So, don’t skip this ingredient! It adds a level of flavor that I really love.
- Soy sauce– this gives the gravy a really nice saltiness that we all love from gravy.
- Broth– I used the Better Than Bouillon Vegetable broth base but really any broth that you have works well.
- Spices– I add in sage and a bit of poultry seasoning. Some poultry seasonings are saltier than others so I suggest adding that first and tasting before adding in any additional salt.
To make the gravy, we’re simply going to saute the onion and garlic in the oil before adding in the remaining ingredients. It’s super simple to throw together and I love it for that!
Can you make the gravy ahead of time?
YES! This reheats well. Feel free to make it the day before and simple heat it up when you’re ready to serve it.
That’s all I have for you today! As always, if you end up making this recipe, please snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I love to see what y’all are cooking from the blog!
See how to make the Vegan Gravy here:Print
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- ⅓ cup of onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon of dried sage
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning (optional)
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once hot, add in the onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in flour, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, dried sage, salt, and pepper until a paste forms. Slowly whisk in the broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then lower heat to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 6-8 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Optional step: Use a blender or hand blender to blend the gravy. I like it both ways, a little chunky from the onion and garlic AND super smooth once it’s blended.
- Category: side dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan gravy, easy vegan gravy, vegan thanksgiving