Vegan Sugar Cookies
Happy Wednesday! Want a cookie!? Sorry, I ate all of them in record time and even told Mr. Britnell that he could only have a couple because “I still need to take a few photos” (which is food blogger code for “lay off, these cookies are MINE!”). Do you ever make something in the kitchen and then spend days amazed that you managed to make something so simply delicious?? That’s these cookies.
They’re just simple sugar cookies but they’re SO DAMN DELCIOUS!!
It’s pretty much guaranteed that I will make these cookies at least 3 more times before the holidays. They will be accompanying me to every single holiday party that I attend in December and each time, I’ll eat at least 3 before even getting there. I can’t wait.
Anyways, as I mentioned in yesterdays income report, I’m a bit swamped with work this month so I’m going to keep this as brief as possible. Okay?
The cookies are very simple!
First we beat together the wet ingredients with the sugars. Then we mix in the dry ingredients (it’s ALL in one bowl so less cleanup!). Now, the dough chills for 2 hours or even overnight. Yes, the waiting is difficult but it’s ALL worth it in the end.
Now just roll the cookie dough out and cut them into cute shapes. Or as I did, use a wine glass to cut them into circles because you found a dinosaur cookie cutter and a USA cookie cutter but you couldn’t find your plain ole’ circle cookie cutters. For future reference: the wine glass worked just great!
Bake and you’re DONE! Except for the icing part. If you’re reading this on the day that I published the recipe then I haven’t yet published the icing recipe. It’s coming on Friday, don’t worry!! Will update then :)
Even if you’re not vegan, you should totally make these cookies! They’re seriously (officially) one of my new favorite recipes on the blog and that’s saying a lot because I tend to love all of my recipes.
HERE is the recipe for the vegan frosting if you’re also interested in that.
And with that, I hope that you have a lovely Wednesday! December is tomorrow!!
See How to Make the Vegan Sugar Cookies:Print
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Optional for topping: vegan frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed (or using a hand mixer)beat together the sugars, vegan butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients until just combined. Cover and let the cookie dough sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours or even overnight.
- When ready to bake, pre-heat to oven to 375 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Generously flour your working surface as well as your rolling pin and cookie cutters. If the dough seems a bit sticky on the outside, gently pat it with a little flour and continue to do so while you roll it out if sticky areas are exposed.
- Working in about 2 sections, roll the dough out to about 1/4 in thickness and cut out your cookie shapes and place them on your baking trays. Leave about an inch and a half between each cookie.
- Repeat until all of the dough is used. (side note: I baked the cookies in 2 batches and end up with 4-5 baking trays of cookies. This depends on the size of your baking trays.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, taking the cookies out of the oven just when the edges begin to brown. Put the cookies on a cooling rack and let cool before putting icing on.
Adapted from here