Bacon, Cheddar, & Chive Soda Bread
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Week 3 of the Great British Bake Off was bread week. I think that was a good few weeks ago at this point but hey, here I am. I’m baking along with the show even if I’m lagging behind a bit. For the bread week, I opted for the soda bread and decided to use a simple recipe that I could then add lots of other yummy things to. Bacon, cheddar, and chive seemed like a good idea. In reality: it was a great idea!!
I mean, seriously. Look at this bread:
It’s as magical as it looks and you should probably make it ASAP.
Bread is one of those things that I absolutely love baking, and I’m so thankful once I’ve done it, but I rarely actually do it. So, I’ve made a goal to bake a loaf of bread every week through the end of the year. We’ll see how that goes.
This bread is really easy to make which I’m a big fan of.
The dry ingredients are sifted together before the bacon, cheddar, chives, and buttermilk are mixed in.
Once kneaded together, the dough is formed into a loaf and baked for 25 minutes to perfection.
It turns a nice golden brown and when cut open reveals beautiful pockets of melted cheese, bacon, and chives.
Happy bread baking!!Print
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar, cut into small cubes
- 4–5 slices cooked bacon, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of chives, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus a few tablespoons extra if needed
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the cheddar, bacon, and chives into the flour mixture and stir well to combine.
- Add in the buttermilk and stir until thoroughly mixed together.
- On a floured surface, knead for 2 minutes. If the dough is overly dry and wont hold together, add in more buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time and continue to knead for a minute.
- Form the dough into a round loaf and place on the baking sheet. Cut a large X into the top of the loaf going about 2/3 of an inch deep.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on the outside and full cooked on the inside (test doneness by sticking a fork or toothpick into the center of the loaf).
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes