I had THE most lovely long Memorial day weekend! I got so many little things done that I’ve been putting off in my life and feel so relaxed for the first time since Christmas. Literally.
Something about the weekend makes me think of breakfast. Maybe it’s because I’m not rushing out the door at 7am and I actually have time to make something more than a protein shake. And that’s where these little breakfast toast cups come in:
This is basically just your classic toast with eggs and a side of bacon. But all mashed together; and with cheese and spinach. Ya know, basic. I see it as an easy yet very “fancy” way to serve breakfast and impress all your guests. Or kids. I don’t know a lot about those little creatures that they call kids but I imagine that kids would love these.
Our ingredients are simple:
6 slices- Bread of your choice
Large handful of spinach
1/4 cup cheese
6 Slices of Bacon, cooked
Salt & Peppa to taste
2 tablespoons of butter OR butter cooking spray
1) Preheat your oven to 375° F. Lightly butter/ spray 6 cups of a muffin tin. 2) Roll out your slices of bread with a rolling pin to make them rather thin. 3) Cut out a ~4-5 inch circle from the corner of each piece of bread. Save the scraps of bread as you’ll need them to fill in a few holes in your toast cups. 4) Cut the circles in half and lightly butter/ spray each piece.
5) Place a small scrap of bread in each muffin tin to cover about 2/3 of the bottom like so:
6) Place 2 circle halves of bread into each cup and position them so that there are minimal holes.
7) Next, load in your remaining ingredients with the egg going in last. I put 3-4 leaves of spinach at the very bottom with a layer of cheese on top of that.
Position the bacon where you want it and crack one egg over each muffin tin.
8) Bake in the oven until the egg whites have set and are thoroughly white, roughly 15 minutes.
9) Once out of the oven, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Serve immediately and ENJOY!
The spinach is sneaky. You would basically never even know it was there.
These can be eaten with a knife and fork, which is my husbands style. Or, you can grab it with your fingers and eat it like a muffin. Which is my style. Just be more careful than I was and remember that the egg might run a bit and get on your pajama pants. It happens.