This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Learn how to make sushi rolls at home with this easy cucumber roll recipe! Fresh cucumber, pickled carrots and avocado, are all wrapped up in seasoned rice and served with spicy mayo for a healthy, delicious vegetarian roll. Making sushi at home is actually quite fun and easy to do!
Raise your hand if you love sushi! I sure do and I love going out for sushi, but it can be crazy expensive. I feel like every time we go out for sushi, it’s a minimum of $60 for two people. I decided it was time to learn to make sushi at home and started with this vegan sushi roll. I was surprised by how easy it actually is to make homemade sushi and it turned out so delicious!
Now that I’ve learned how to make it myself, I’ve been experimenting with different filling ingredients, which is how this cucumber roll recipe came to be. It’s my new favorite and I know you’re sure to enjoy it too!
Ingredients needed for cucumber rolls:
Just a few simple ingredients and you’re well on your way to a tasty vegetarian roll! Here’s what you need:
- Quick pickled carrots. These are super flavorful and easy to make with matchstick carrots, apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Spicy mayo. Optional, but so good! This is a simple mix of mayo, sriracha, soy sauce and lime juice.
- Sushi rice. You definitely need to use short grain rice for this recipe. I’ve experimented with long grain rice and it does NOT work out well.
- Nori sheets. You can find these at most grocery stores and they’re relatively inexpensive! If all else fails, you can most certainly find them on amazon.
- Filling. Pickled carrot, cucumber, and avocado is what I used for this cucumber roll. Feel free to use any favorite ingredients, though. Radish, marinated tofu, and mango are all great options!
How to make a cucumber roll:
Making a cucumber roll is really easy! There are three components to this vegetarian roll: the rice, filling and spicy mayo dipping sauce. Here’s a quick rundown of the process, but for full instructions, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the post. If you’d like to see a visual tutorial of the process, check out my video in my vegan sushi post.
- Make the quick pickled carrots. Mix apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a small, heatproof bowl. Microwave until the sugar has dissolved– about 2 minutes. Place the carrots in a large jar or other airtight container. Pour over the liquid mixture and transfer the carrots to the fridge to cool for at least ten minutes.
- Make the spicy mayo. Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- Cook the rice. You can use a rice cooker or the stovetop method to cook the rice. Once cooked, make the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt mixture and stir it into the rice.
- Make the rolls. Place a sheet of nori on a plastic-wrapped rolling mat. Press sushi rice onto the nori sheet, making sure to go all the way to the edges. Add slices of carrot, cucumber, and avocado. Roll the nori up over the filling and continue rolling (as tightly as you can) until you reach the end of the rice. Brush the last 1” of nori with water and then roll it to seal. Cut the rolls into 6-8 slices, depending on how large you like them. Garnish with sesame seeds and spicy mayo and enjoy!
Tips for making sushi at home:
Here are a few simple tips, so that your cucumber roll is perfect!
- Aside from the ingredients, you will need a sushi mat. You can get one on Amazon for just $4 (affiliate link) and I highly recommend it, if you plan to make sushi at home regularly. I’ve also seen them at Target and World Market. It’s possible to roll sushi WITHOUT the mat, but I’ve found that it’s much harder to get a tight sushi roll.
- I recommend slicing the filling ingredients thinly, so that everything will fit nicely in the center of the cucumber roll.
- Before rolling the cucumber roll or any sushi roll, I like to cover my rolling mat in plastic wrap for easier cleanup.
This cucumber roll was a big hit with my family! It’s a great way to introduce sushi to kids too, since there’s no raw fish. Have you ever made sushi at home? If so, leave a comment with your best tips! And if you end up making this recipe, PLEASE please snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always love to see what you’re making and how you like it!Print
Learn how to make sushi rolls at home with this easy cucumber roll recipe! Fresh cucumber, pickled carrots and avocado, are all wrapped up in seasoned rice and served with spicy mayo for a healthy, delicious vegetarian roll.
For the Quick Pickled Carrots
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
For the Spicy Mayo
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sriracha, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, optional
For the Sushi Rice
- 1 ½ cups sushi rice (see notes)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 sheets of Nori
- Quick Pickled Carrot (from above)
- 1 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
For the Quick Pickled Carrots
Place the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a small, heatproof bowl. Microwave until the sugar has dissolved– about 2 minutes.
Place the carrots in a large jar or other airtight container. Pour over the liquid mixture and transfer the carrots to the fridge to cool for at least ten minutes.
For the Spicy Mayo
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
For the Sushi Rice
Rinse the rice until the water runs clear– about 2 minutes.
If using a rice cooker, add the rice and water and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
If using the stovetop, add the rice and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer on low for 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit for 10 minutes.
Combine the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small, microwave safe bowl. Microwave until the sugar and salt have fully dissolved– about 1 minute.
Pour the mixture over the rice and stir the rice constantly for 5-7 minutes, or until it is cool to the touch. Cover with a damp towel and set aside until ready to use.
To Make the Rolls
Wrap a sushi rolling mat with plastic wrap (this will help keep it clean).
Place a sheet of nori on the rolling mat. Press about ⅓ cup of sushi rice onto the mat, making sure to go all the way to the edges on three sides, but leaving about 1” of exposed nori on the side farthest away from you.
Add a few slices of carrot, cucumber, and avocado to the nori on the side closest to you.
Starting from the side closest to you, roll the Nori up over the filling and continue rolling (as tightly as you can) until you reach the end of the rice.
Brush the last 1” of nori with water and then roll it to seal. Use the sushi mat to seal the roll tightly.
Using a sharp knife, cut the rolls into 6-8 slices, depending on how large you like them. Garnish with sesame seeds and spicy mayo.
Make sure to use a Japanese short grain rice (also known as “sushi rice”). It’s available in the international section of most grocery stores– you must use this rice! Regular long grain or jasmine rice cannot be substituted!
You can put anything you like in the center of the rolls– radish, marinated tofu, and mango are all great options!
- Category: Main, Appetizer
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: cucumber roll, vegan sushi, vegetarian roll