Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes
I hope you’re as sweet potato obsessed as I am because these Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes need to happen in your life ASAP. They’re the perfect easy side dish and so perfectly delicious!
These smashed sweet potatoes are also super easy to make. I’ve seen similar potato recipes that call for you to boil the potatoes but I’m not much of a fan of boiled potatoes. So, we’re going with baked. I find it easier and just overall more tasty.
We first start by baking the rounds for about 25 minutes. Once they’re fork tender, we’ll let them cool a few minutes, smash the potatoes with a fork, and then add a garlic butter mixture as well as some salt, pepper, and herbs.
Then bake them for a few more minutes before turning on the broiler. Broiling these potatoes makes it so that the outside has a nice crispy crunch to it while the inside is still soft and yummy. SO GOOD!
AND that’s it. SUPER easy to make and so good!
If you want to keep these vegan, you can simply swap out the butter for vegan butter (I’ve been really enjoying Earth Balance lately!).
And don’t forget, Cocktail week starts TOMORROW! I’ll be releasing a new holiday cocktail every day of this week. Get excited! :)
- 3 large sweet potatoes, ideally long and skinny ones
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, vegan butter if desired
- 3 large garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
- 1 tablespoon of freshly minced rosemary (can use 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary instead)
- ½ teaspoon of Fine sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Start by cutting the ends off of your sweet potatoes and then slicing them into large rounds that are about 1 inch thick. Place the rounds on your baking sheets, spray lightly with cooking spray and bake for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Let cool a few minutes and then smash the rounds with a fork. The skin of mine split a bit but don’t worry about it. Do your best to keep them together. I pushed a few of mine together back into rounds if they split.
- In a small bowl, cream together the butter and garlic. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the potato rounds. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- Bake for 5 additional minutes then switch on the broiler and broil until the edges start to get crispy. This can happen very fast so stand by the oven and watch. Mine took about 3 minutes.
- Category: side dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: sweet potato, smashed potatoes, garlic