Vegan Coleslaw Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Vegan Coleslaw recipe is a classic summer dish that’s perfect for parties, potlucks, and just everyday meals. Great on it’s own or topped on sandwiches!
Summer recipes are my all time favorite recipes to create so now that the days are getting longer and the weather is really warming up, I’ve had so much fun in the kitchen lately. I have a lot of great summer dishes planned for the next few months (including a summer edition of cocktail week!) so get EXCITED!
Admittedly, coleslaw isn’t exactly a summer recipe but it feels like it to me. Every summer get together and BBQ that I attend seems to have coleslaw and I’m never sad about it :) Knowing my typical audience, I figured that you *might* be in the need of an easy vegan coleslaw recipe this summer so let’s do it.
As with so many of my other vegan recipes, I kept this simple and as close to the classic recipe as possible. All we’re really doing is swapping mayo out for a vegan version that’s egg free. I’m a fan of simple (lazy) store bought vegan mayo BUT you can try making your own at home as well. Minimalist Baker has an easy looking mayo that uses aquafab. You can find that recipe HERE. From My Bowl also has a great homemade vegan mayo recipe HERE.
Vegan Coleslaw Dressing:
So, what all is in this coleslaw dressing recipe?
- vegan mayo
- maple syrup for a touch of sweetness
- apple cider vinegar for a kick
- lemon juice for some extra acidity
- salt and pepper to taste
That’s it. I told you, I like to keep things simple but it all comes together to create the perfect coleslaw sauce. I’m a big fan :)
How to make this easy coleslaw recipe:
This is ridiculously easy but I’m going to break it down for you anyways.
First we’ll start by whisking together all of the coleslaw dressing ingredients until they’re well combined. I like to do this in a large bowl so that I can add the coleslaw directly into the bowl.
Next, the coleslaw mix is tossed in so that everything gets completely covered in the dressing. Taste and then add more salt and pepper is necessary.
Serve and ENJOY!
How to make the coleslaw mix at home:
If you have everything on hand and want to make your own coleslaw mix, here’s a rough guide for it:
In a large bowl, mix together FOUR cups of finely shredded green cabbage, TWO cups of finely shredded purple cabbage, and ONE cup of shredded/ matchstick carrots.
Can I make this coleslaw recipe in advance?
It’s fine to make this a few hours in advance but I do not recommend making it a day in advance if you can help it. Raw cabbage mixed with the dressing just does not stay good for very long. If you need to make things a little easier, you could go ahead and make the dressing and then toss it over the coleslaw mix right before serving which would only take you a couple of minutes at best.Print
This Easy Coleslaw Recipe comes together in a few minutes and is perfect for summer barbeques!
- 1 package of coleslaw mix (roughly 14 ounces)
- 1/2 cup of vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste (I like to add more salt depending on how salty the mayo is)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add in the coleslaw mix and stir until everything is coated in the coleslaw dressing.
- Serve right away and store leftovers in the fridge. This doesn’t keep for long and if you’re planning to make it for a party, I suggest waiting to mix everything together until soon before serving. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan side dish, summer grilling, vegan summer dish