Gnocchi Al Pomodoro
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
LOVE a good one skillet gnocchi dish and this Gnocchi al Pomodoro covered in cheese and fresh herbs does NOT disappoint!
I’ve been dreaming of this recipe for months now and am glad to finally see it come to fruition! I had a version of this at a restaurant last year and I’ve been dying to make it at home ever since.
This all comes together in ONE big skillet and with minimal prep work needed which I love it for.
OH and if you’re wanting to make a vegan/ dairy free version of this, you can simply swap the cheese for a vegan mozzarella OR leave it out completely. While I love the cheesiness of this dish, it would still be truly delicious without any dairy in it!
I’m going to keep things SHORT and sweet today because it’s FRIDAY!
AND, we all have this delicious gnocchi recipe to be making soon, right? RIGHT?
This is one of those PERFECT dishes to make when you have guests over. You can do all of the prep work and when they get to your house, pop it in the oven. That gives you the perfect amount of time to make everyone cocktails (not yourself though because you already have one!) and situated :)
OKAY enough talking, let’s make this Gnocchi al pomodoro!
This recipe is truly easy to make! Let’s go over the steps:
- Saute fresh herbs in some olive oil. This works to season the oil and create a base of deliciousness for the whole dish.
- In that same oil, saute the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add in san marzano tomatoes, heavy cream, and red wine. Simmer the sauce for about 15 minutes to break down the tomatoes and infuse all of the flavors together.
- Crush the tomatoes using a wooden spoon.
- Add the gnocchi and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Nestle the mozzarella into the skillet and top with more cheese as desired. Bake for 15 minutes and ENJOY!
As usual, PLEASE let me know if you make this recipe and let me know how you like it! You can come back here and leave a comment or tag me on instagram (@foodwithfeeling).
More delicious gnocchi recipes to try:
- 3 Ingredient Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Spinach Gnocchi
- Baked Gnocchi Casserole
- Gnocchi with Sage Butter Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 stems of fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 stems of fresh rosemary
- 2 stems of fresh basil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can of San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream (coconut cream or unflavored dairy-free creamer also works for dairy free)*
- 1/2 cup of dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 16- ounce package of gnocchi
- 8 ounces of pearl or cherry size mozzarella balls (if cherry, I suggest cutting them in half)*
- 1/2 cup of shredded provolone or parmesan cheese*
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add in the fresh parsley, rosemary and basil. Cook until the herbs start to get a little crispy, about 4-5 minutes. Discard the parsley and basil but save the rosemary for a little later.
- Keeping the heat in the pan, add to the olive oil the onion and garlic. Season withe 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in all of the tomatoes, cream, and wine. Add the bay leaf and the crispy rosemary and simmer the sauce for 15 minutes or until it has thickened slightly.
- Mix in the gnocchi, bring the sauce to a boil and cook another 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and discard the bar leaf and rosemary. Place the mozzarella all through the skillet, pressing each piece down into the sauce a bit. Sprinkle on the shredded cheese and bake for 15 minutes. Optional: broil for a few minutes to get the cheese a little crispy on the top.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for about 5 minutes and ENJOY!
Cream: you could also omit the cream altogether as desired
Cheese: feel free to sub in dairy free cheese alternatives to make this vegan!
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: gnocchi recipe, one pot gnocchi, gnocchi al pomodoro