Easy Vegan Meatballs
Vegan Meatballs Recipe– this easy to make vegan recipe is SO GOOD and perfect for weeknight dinners. They can also be made ahead of time and frozen for later!
Oh HELLO Vegetarian meatballs of my dreams! This is a recipe that I’ve been meaning to work on for YEARS and I’m so excited how delicious this one turned out!
I wanted these to have a meaty texture while also being substantial and, of course, TASTY! These could be eaten with spaghetti or even on their own!
I also love this recipe as a make ahead vegan meal. The meatballs could be made and frozen before cooking them. When ready to eat, simply leave them in the fridge overnight and then pan fry them (or bake) according to the recipe. They may end up requiring a little extra cook time if they’re still a little frozen in the middle.
Love the idea of making these for new parents who need ALL of the easy freeze meals that they can get!
My hope is to start posting a lot more Italian inspired plant based recipes. I AM 1/2 Italian after all and there are SO so many dishes that I can’t wait to re-create. Really want to work on a good vegan lasagna! Lots of ideas bouncing around and I’m always open to suggestions.
But for now, let’s dive back into this vegan meatball recipe!
How to make vegan meatballs:
To make these meatballs, we’ll start out by sautéing the mushrooms, garlic, and onion until they’re soft. Those then get added into a food processor with the remaining ingredients and blended until everything is combined. Not going to lie- the mixture won’t look pretty (but who cares- it’ll end up delicious!!).
Roll the mixture into balls and set aside. When it comes to cooking the meatballs, you can either bake them OR pan fry them which is my preferred method. They only need about 12 minutes to cook until a nice crust forms on the outside and the meatballs turn a darker brown color.
AND that’s it. I like to keep things classic and eat these with spaghetti and a good spaghetti sauce. But these would also be great in a meatball sub (trying THAT very soon!) or on some zoodles. Be creative! Alternatively, just eat them all on their own because these are SO SO GOOD!
More vegan recipes to try:
Easy Vegan Meatballs- these vegetarian meatballs are so simple to make and perfect for delicious weeknight meals!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 8 ounces of cremini mushrooms, sliced or roughly chopped (we’ll be blending them later so size doesn’t matter)
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice (I used basmati rice but brown rice or even another grain such as quinoa would work well)
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Oil for frying
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute the onion and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to a food processor along with the rice, flour, bread crumbs, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pulse until everything is combined and comes together.
- Form the mixture into golf ball sized meatballs and set aside.
- In the same skillet pour in enough oil to fully cover the bottom of the skillet. Set over medium heat. Once hot, add in the meatballs so that they’re not overcrowded. Cook until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes per side. Add more oil as needed so that skillet has a thin layer covering it.
- Serve with spaghetti or however you enjoy your meatballs :D
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: italian, vegan, vegetarian meatballs, vegan dinner