Kale & Quinoa Patties (old)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
**I have posted an updated version of this recipe that can be found HERE!**
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4-6 stems of kale, steamed (about 1-2 cups chopped up)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I use Italian)
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 2-5 spring onions, thinly sliced (or 1 small whatever onion you prefer)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese*
- 2-6 cloves garlic (your preference), minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- olive oil (or coconut oil)
*I’ve made it without the Parmesan cheese and it turns out okay. It tastes best with it for sure and holds everything together a bit better.
- Cook the quinoa and then let it cool down for a bit
- Steam kale by placing chopped up pieces in about 1/2 cup of water over medium heat
- Thinly slice your onion(s)
- In large bowl, mix together quinoa, kale, eggs, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, parmesan cheese, and salt.
- Form mixture into small balls (usually makes about 12-15 depending on size. I’ve found that they cook best when you keep them small.)
- With a little oil, cook patties (about 4 at a time depending on the size of your pan). About 5 minutes on each side should do it but keep an eye on them. Once they get about medium brown, I know that side is done.
- EAT: these are great by themselves but I almost always top them with a few things. The first time I made them I tried them with some lime juice, avocado, and cilantro. Now, I almost always eat them with just avocado and cottage cheese on top. I have no idea what possessed me to ever try cottage cheese on top but I really like it.