Roasted Acorn Squash Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Creamy and DELICIOUS Roasted Acorn Squash Soup Recipe– this vegan soup is simple to make and perfect for colder winter months :) It’s a family favorite of ours for sure.
It’s officially starting to get cold outside and as a result, I want warm and comforting soup for every single meal. I mean, if I’m really being honest, I could eat soup year round. However, I especially crave it in the fall as the nights start to dip down below 50 degrees (so not ready for the cold this year!).
But this Acorn Squash Soup really makes it all better and I LOVE how flavorful and filling it is.
This soup is VERY simple to make and I love it even more for that. Lets quickly break this down:
Main ingredients in this soup:
- Acorn squash
- Onion, garlic, carrot, and celery (so, just lots of delicious veggies!)
- Spices- the sage really makes this dish!
- Milk- I typically use a thick oat milk but really any kind of milk would work well here!
I’ve made similar soups to this where I cooked the squash in the pot with the other veggies. However, for this one I decided it would be easier to roast the squash in the oven while the the soup is cooking and then add it into the soup mixture towards the end.
How to make Acorn Squash Soup:
The veggies are chopped up and sautéed in a bit of oil before the broth is added in.
Veggie broth is added and the soup simmers for a bit while the squash roasts. Once the veggies are tender and the squash is out of the oven and cooling, there’s not much left before the soup is done.
The milk is stirred in. You can be as generous or as conservative with the milk as you like. I typically add in a little extra. Next, the peeled squash is added in.
I don’t bother chopping the squash since it’s all going in the food process anyways.
For creamy soup, we run it all through a blender or food processor. I do this in 2 batches so that my food processor doesn’t freak out on me.
Once it’s fully blended and smooth, you’re done! You can put it back over the stove for a few minutes if you want to reheat it but typically this isn’t necessary.
I made the cashew sauce using this SUPER SIMPLE recipe from Pinch of Yum and then drizzled it over the top for an added kick of flavor and yummy creaminess. I highly recommend making this sauce to go along with the soup AND to have extras for later.
You should most certainly add this soup to your list of winter recipes to try! It’s just so creamy and delicious and I want to eat it until Spring finally comes back around.
This Acorn Squash Soup is simple to make and comes together all in one pot! So filling and comforting.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of dried sage
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cups of veggie broth
- 1/2 cup of loosely packed parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2– 2 cups of milk (plant based as desired)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the acorn squash in strips (see picture above) and place them on a well greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt on both sides and roast for 20-25 minutes or until a fork pierces the squash very easily.
- In a large pot, heat the oil until hot and saute the onion for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and let cook for an additional minute.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients minus the almond milk and simmer for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Let cool slightly.
- Once the squash is done roasting, let it sit until it’s cool enough to touch. Peel the skin off of the squash and throw it away.
- Add the squash and the almond milk into the soup and gently stir to combine.
- Sectioning the soup out, pour about half of it into a food processor or blender and process until creamy smooth. This might take a couple minutes. You can also do this using an immersion blender.
- Add additional S&P if needed.
- Top with cashew cream sauce (link to recipe above) and ENJOY!!!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan soup, acorn squash soup