Sweet Potato BBQ Nachos
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Last week I decided I was in the mood for a slightly new variation on the classic BBQ nachos. I wasn’t quite sure if I’d like it but I decided to switch out the tortilla chips for Baked Sweet Potato Chips.
Long story short, these are SO good. And maybe a little healthier? Either way, YUM!
In different news, I got a little over zealous cutting and de-seeding the jalapeno that I got it in my eye, ruined my last pair of contacts, and had to go to the eye doctor immediately the next day so I could finally see. True story. All is good now and I’m no longer blind.
SO, the nachos. You’ll need to start out by baking yourself some Sweet Potato Chips in the oven. I know they’re good but do your best not to eat all of them before the nachos are assembled.
I always think in layers. It’s my inclination to stack the chips up high and then add all of the ingredients on top. But, that results in a very yummy top layer and then a bunch of unloved chips buried underneath. Show some love to the under-chips.
Stack up one layer of chips and sprinkle cheese over top. Stack another layer on top of that and again sprinkle with cheese. Repeat this until you have your desired amount of deliciousness.
Top with all of the fixins.
I put onion, bbq chicken from the crockpot, sour cream, extra bbq sauce, green onion, and the previously mentioned jalapeno.
To make things extra simple, I put the plate on a baking sheet and put it in the oven with the broiler on for about 5-7 minutes or until all of the cheese appeared to be thoroughly melted.
Mmmm. I want some more of these now! Lexi agrees on the deliciousness (not that she had any, but she did smell them baking!).
Sweet Potato Nachos
Plateful of Baked Sweet Potato Chips
2 medium chicken breasts
1 cup bbq sauce, plus more for topping
1 small jalapeno
~1 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup onion
1) Place chicken and 1 cup bbq sauce in crockpot and cook on low for ~6 hours or on high for ~2-3 hours.
2) Once chicken is cooked, shred and set aside.
3) Place one thin layer of chips on a plate and sprinkle with cheese. Place another layer of chips on top of the first and again layer the cheese (and a little shredded chicken if desired). Repeat this until you have your desired amount of chips/ cheese.
4) Top the nachos with the remaining ingredients: chicken, onion, cheese, jalapenos.
5) Drizzle with bbq sauce and place the plate of nachos on a baking sheet.
6) With the broilers on high, place the baking sheet in the oven for ~5-7 minutes. Watch them carefully and take them out of the oven once the cheese is adequately melted.
7) Top with some drizzled sour cream and ENJOY!!
Linking up with Buns in My Oven