Tempeh Taco “Meat”
GUYS! This Tempeh Taco “meat” needs to happen in your life asap! Wait, are you a tempeh fan? Because you should be.
I’m relatively new to tempeh. I had never had it before ~a year ago and quickly became obsessed with it. I’m not a HUGE fan of tofu but I am completely in love with tempeh. I started really getting into it last year after one of my video clients had me do a roundup video of 4 different tempeh recipes. (ps- ALL of Brittany’s recipes are amazing!). One of the recipes had you crumble the tempeh into a sauce as a meat replacement for spaghetti sauce. That had me thinking- what other ways could I use it as a meat replacer??
Enter: this tempeh taco “meat”!
I’m obsessed and LOVE how quick it is. WIN!
Included with my recipes is a simple taco seasoning BUT you could also just use whatever you already have. Just cook the onion and garlic as usual, add in your taco seasoning, and then crumble in the tempeh. I recently bought a bunch of taco seasonings from Trader Joes and love this taco meat with a little bit of that seasoning mixed in while cooking.
Definitely give this Tempeh Taco Meat a try! I think you might be surprised how much you love it :) THEN give these tempeh fajitas a try :)
This vegetarian taco meat is made from crumbled tempeh that is seasoned and delicious! Perfect for taco night and easy to throw together.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ of a medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of oregano
- ¼-1 teaspoon of paprika (according to taste and desired spiciness)
- 1 block tempeh 8oz
- Heat oil in medium pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in onion and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Crumble in the tempeh so that it’s in very small pieces and then add in all of the spices. Mix and continue to cook until the tempeh is heated through.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings and ENJOY!!