Vegan Lentil Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Looking for the ULTIMATE comforting + filling winter meal!? I’ve got you covered with this hearty Vegan Lentil Soup that’s SOUPer easy to make and filled with a handful whole-food ingredients. You’re going to love this for weeknight dinners AND meal-prep lunches!
On a scale of 1-10, how much do you love soup!? 1 being “meh, not that much” and 10 being “I’ll eat soup ALL YEAR ROUND!”
I fall into the “please let me eat soup every single day!” category and I’m not even a little bit shy about it. We just REALLY love soup here at Food with Feeling!
I’ve been making a version of this soup for many years now. It’s typically a “throw a bunch of stuff in the pot” situation but I finally managed to write it down into a cohesive recipe for you. It’s so super simple and ridiculously filling (which I adore it for!).
Ingredients in this Vegan Lentil Soup:
- Lentils– I usually use green lentils but brown will work as well! I haven’t tried this with red lentils and I worry that the soup might end up a bit too mushy. So if using red, proceed at your own caution.
- Onion + Garlic– because these are in pretty much all of my recipes.
- Carrots– technically these are optional but I love the extra sweetness and nutrition that the offer the soup.
- Veggie broth– any kind you have will work well! I’ve been loving the Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base lately.
- Crushed tomatoes
- Spices– cumin, thyme, and curry powder to be specific.
- Lemon juice + zest– for some added freshness!
The soup comes together ALL in one big pot which makes it great for easy week night (or end) dinners. The leftovers are also AMAZING so it would be even be great as a winter time (or anytime!) meal-prep recipe!
SOUPer excited for y’all to try this recipe out (is 2 times in one blog post too much for that pun!?).
WELL that’s all I have for you today! As usual, if you end up making this recipe, please snap a quick photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always love to see what y’all are making from the blog.
See how to make this Lentil Vegetable Soup:
This Vegan Lentil Soup is comforting, filling, and so easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups of dried brown or green lentils*
- 1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 7 cups of vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt + more to taste
- pepper to taste
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add in the oil. Once hot, add in the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Next add in the carrots and cook until they begin to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add in the remaining ingredients minus the lemon juice and zest: dried lentils, crushed tomatoes, broth, cumin, thyme, curry powder, bay leaves, salt + pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat as necessary so that it’s at a very gentle simmer. If the stove is too hot then you may end up with mushy lentils. Cover and cook for 30-35 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the bay leaves and add in the lemon juice + zest.
- You can serve the soup AS IS or make it a bit creamier by blending 1/4-1/2 of the soup. I do this using an immersion blender but you can also (carefully!) transfer some of the soup to a blender, blend, and then pour it back into the pot. I like my soup quite thick but you can add another cup of water or broth if desired.
- Serve and ENJOY!
*I do not recommend using red lentils in this recipe
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan soup, vegan lentil soup, lentil vegetable soup