Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce– this easy vegan sauce is simple to make, nut free, and SO SO creamy! I know you’re going to love this nacho cheese and you’ll want to put this on everything!
Oh hello dear nacho cheese sauce of my DREAMS!
If you’ve been a reader for some time now then this recipe might look very familiar to you and that’s because it’s an oldie of mine. But since it has been many years since I first published this recipe, I figured that it could use a full revamp. So, that’s what we’re doing today.
Also, if I’m being 100% honest, I really just wanted a good excuse to give this recipe another try. GUILTY.
It’s just SO GOOD and I love it for that. I also love that it’s not a nut based cheese sauce. While I do genuinely love a good cashew cream sauce, I often get requests for recipes without nuts in them and this vegan nacho cheese sauce totally delivers.
So, what’s in this nacho cheese sauce anyways?
- cannellini beans
- red bell pepper
- nutritional yeast
- veggie broth
- dijon mustard
- and a bit of flour (you could use oat flour for a gluten free sauce!)
How to make Vegan Nacho Cheese:
THIS Vegan Nacho Cheese recipe actually uses white beans as the base. The beans are cooked (with some spices, broth, and a bit of jalapeno for a kick) and eventually pureed which results in a DELICIOUSLY creamy cheese sauce.
After it’s all simmered for a bit and the nutritional yeast and red pepper is added in, you’ll have something that looks a bit like this:
I simply used my blender (although an immersion blender or food processor would work just fine) and blended it all up until I got a nice, smooth, and creamy cheesy consistency.
If you’re looking for a plant based, dairy-free alternative for nacho cheese, this recipe is PERFECT! And even if you’re not looking for either of those things, I think you should still try it! :)
See How to Make the Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce:
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”KbZbxVIm” upload-date=”2019-10-29T03:31:29.000Z” name=”Nacho Cheese Sauce” description=”Nacho Cheese Sauce”]Print
- 1 15 ounce can of white beans (I used cannellini beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 large jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 2 heaping tablespoons of flour (I used al purpose flour but oat flour would be a great gf alternative!)
- 1/2 cup of red bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste (but it doesn’t need much!)
- In a medium pot, stir together the beans, broth, jalapeno, and spices. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in the nutritional yeast, dijon. Whisk in the flour and continue to whisk until the sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add in the bell pepper.
- Blend the mixture using an immersion blender OR in a blender/ food processor.
- Season to taste with S&P.
Recipe adapted from 500 Vegan Recipes
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: dips
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan sauce, nacho sauce, healthy nacho sauce