This easy Vegan Pancakes Recipe can be whipped together in just 10 minutes and makes for the perfect vegan breakfast! They freeze well which makes them perfect for meal prep.
I always love to start the week out with a good new breakfast recipe! It explains why I have SO many great breakfast recipes on the blog. Plus, Jemma is experiencing some MAJOR sleep regression that is about killing me so my pseudo-Monday morning needs to involve these Easy Vegan Pancakes.
I almost called this recipe “Vegan Banana Pancakes” since I used mashed banana in place of the egg to make the pancakes vegan. I happen to love banana pancakes but if you’re one of those rare people who don’t particularly love the taste of banana, don’t worry! The banana taste in these pancakes is pretty minimal but gives the pancakes a nice and fluffy texture.
How to Make Vegan Pancakes from Scratch
It’s always funny to me that people buy pancakes mixes because making pancakes from scratch requires about the same amount of effort (which is really very little).
Typically I make my pancakes the traditional way by first whisking together the dry ingredients, then the wet ingredients, and then combining it all together. HOWEVER, I have made these particular pancakes in a blender by simply dumping everything in all at once and then blending for about 30 seconds. Blender pancakes is taking the recipe to a whole new level of EASY!
In order to make these pancakes vegan, we’re replacing the milk with non dairy milk (I almost always reach for almond milk), the butter with coconut oil, and the egg with mashed banana. The addition of the banana in this recipe kind of gives it a banana pancakes taste but it’s really pretty subtle. This recipe is very similar to my Vegan Blueberry Pancakes recipe that I’ve been making (and loving!) for years now.
Once the batter is made, you just scoop 1/4-1/2 cup of the batter (depending on how big you want your pancakes to be) onto a heated skillet or griddle. We have THIS nonstick griddle and LOVE it. Like most things, it IS an extra kitchen gadget to have around the house but if you make pancakes on a regular basis, I HIGHLY recommend investing in one (and they’re so cheap!).
- 1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 banana, finely mashed (can be added in whole if using a blender)
- Cooking spray for griddle
- Pure maple syrup or agave for topping
- 1 cup of optional mix ins such as fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.**
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond milk, vanilla, coconut oil, and mashed banana.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Gently stir to combine.
- Fold in any mix ins until just combined.
- Heat a griddle or skillet to medium heat. The trick with these pancakes is to cook them over a medium-low heat for a longer period of time. Mine took about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- For large-ish pancakes, pour 1/2 cup of the batter onto the griddle. Once the bottom and sides have firmed up (about 2-3 minutes) flip the pancake. Cook for 4-5 minutes on the other side until a nice golden brown. Flip again and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the original side.
- Once all done, top with fruit and syrup and ENJOY!!
**These pancakes can easily be made in a blender by simply combining all of the ingredients and blending until smooth, about 30 seconds.