Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
How’s your new year going?? It’s funny to me that January 1 feels a lot different than December 31. Nothing really changes besides the calendar and yet it genuinely feels like a new start. Work really ramps up for me in January so maybe that’s part of it for me….after a long season of quietness, things get pretty crazy in the Tennessee State Legislature.
Then there’s also the whole eating healthier thing and seeing as food is a huge part of my life, that really changes things for me. After all that cake and waffles and stuffed shells in December, my body is certainly welcoming all the green smoothies I’ve been making and the massive amounts of salad that I plan on eating :)
We’re easing ourselves into the healthy eating though. Let’s take things slow, okay? We’ll start with these pancakes. We’re swapping out the milk for almond milk and replacing the eggs with a mashed banana to lighten up the recipe and to make it VEGAN.
I’m really excited to share this Vegan Blueberry Pancake recipe with you! I spent a rather large portion of my Christmas break perfecting this recipe and tweaking it to result in the fluffiest of vegan pancakes. And just for the record: I also tested out freezing and re-heating them which worked great! So, go ahead and make a big ole batch to save some for later.
As I mentioned, we’re using almond milk for this recipe. I’ve been really wanting to try Blue Diamond’s cashew milk blend so I bought a few cartons in December. I’ve seriously been LOVING it. It’s a bit thicker and therefore a little creamier than regular almond milk. I used it quite a bit in my hot chocolate and it was AMAZING! I highly recommend it. And, I used it in these pancakes.
The pancake recipe is as easy as sifting together the dry ingredients and then mixing in the remaining ingredients.
Then cook the pancakes on a griddle and EAT. We’re keeping things simple this January and I’m pretty happy about it.
I still have a few of these pancakes in my freezer and I’m pretty sure that I’m going to be enjoying them for brinner tonight (breakfast at dinner).
Happy hump-day friends!!
How to make these EASY and delicious Vegan Pancakes:Print
- 1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup of Blue Diamond Almond Milk (any flavor will do…I used the cashew blend)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, melted
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries, plus extra for topping
- Cooking spray for griddle
- Pure maple syrup or agave for topping
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond milk, coconut oil, and mashed banana.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Gently stir to combine.
- Mix in the blueberries and mix.
- Heat a griddle or skillet to medium heat. The trick with these pancakes is to cook them over a medium-low heat for a longer period of time. Mine took about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- For large-ish pancakes, pour 1/2 cup of the batter onto the griddle. Once the bottom and sides have firmed up (about 2-3 minutes) flip the pancake. Cook for 4-5 minutes on the other side until a nice golden brown. Flip again and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the original side.
- Once all done, top with blueberries and syrup and ENJOY!!