Vegan Parmesan Crusted Tofu
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Even tofu skeptics will absolutely LOVE this Parmesan Crusted Tofu! It’s baked to crispy perfection and can be eaten on a salad, pasta, or even just on it’s own because it’s SO so good.
I’ve posted a LOT of tofu recipes on my blog at this point. Like, A LOT. But I have to say that this is one of my ALL TIME favorites. It’s so ridiculously crispy and packed with flavor. PLUS, it’s fully vegan (as if it wasn’t perfect enough already).
I used my vegan parmesan recipe for this but you could use real parmesan OR even a store-bought vegan parmesan such as the one from Violife. I’ve tried it several different ways and they all turned out delicious!
A few months ago I published a tofu “chicken” nuggets recipe and while it’s SO so good, it’s a little heavier since it’s fried. I wanted a lighter and healthier version of that recipe so this was my answer. For this panko crusted tofu, we’re going to bake it instead. It still turns out SO crispy, don’t worry :)
I used a classic dredge method for this tofu but instead of using egg, we’re going to use a simple vegan buttermilk mixture. The tofu cubes get dredged in flour, then the buttermilk before repeating that process again. Then the tofu is tossed in a delicious panko parmesan mixture.
From there, all that’s left to do is baking it for about 25 minutes so that the outside of the tofu can get crispy and lightly golden brown.
Y’ALL! These are so seriously crispy and packed with flavor. If you don’t believe me, just watch the video down below. UGH SO GOOD!Print
Easy and Crispy Baked Parmesan Crusted Tofu!
- 1 block of firm or extra firm tofu (14–16 oz)
- 1 cup of plant based milk
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 cup of all-purpose four (oat flour would also work well)
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- ⅓ cup of vegan parmesan cheese (can also use a store bought parmesan like the vegan parm from Violife)
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- Start by prepping your tofu. Press out the excess moisture (see my full guide HERE for pressing tofu with and without a tofu press) and slice it into your desired shape. I like simple cubes but strips and triangles work well too.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. And lightly spray a large baking sheet.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the milk and lemon juice to make a vegan buttermilk. It will curdle a little and that’s what we want.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. In one more separate bowl, mix together the vegan parmesan with the panko bread crumbs.
- One piece at a time, dip each piece of tofu in the flour, covering completely, and then dip the tofu into the milk mixture. Repeat that step, dipping it in the flour and then again in the milk. Place the tofu into the panko mixture and cover completely, pressing the panko lightly into the tofu. Place the piece of tofu on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with all of the tofu.
- Spritz the top of the tofu with cooking spray and bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through to brown on both sides. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan crispy tofu, crusted tofu, panko crusted tofu