Vegan Skillet Cookie
It’s FINALLY HERE: the most delicious skillet cookie that you will ever make! It’s super simple to make (all simple ingredients that you probably have on hand right now). And while not totally necessary, I HIGHLY recommend that you serve this with a good scope of vanilla ice cream.
I teased this skillet cookie on my Instagram stories a couple of weeks ago and got SO. Many. Messages. from people asking when I would be posting the recipe. Well, here it is :D
I based this recipe heavily off of my easy vegan chocolate chip cookies with a few minor tweaks and just really love how it turned out!
There’s just something about a cookie in a skillet that is so ridiculously satisfying. Sometimes we cut it into pie shaped slices but more often than not, we top it with ice cream and chocolate sauce and then just eat it right out of the skillet. <<<living our best lives over here :D
The best part about these cookies: they come together in ONE BIG BOWL. I’ve made this enough times that I almost have the measurements memorized and can whip it together and have it in the oven in about 5 minutes, 6 TOPS.
Simple ingredients we’re working with:
- Flour– I’ve only tested this recipe with all purpose flour but if you want to make it gluten free, your best bet is to try a gluten free 1-1 flour. Bob’s Red Mill and Cup4Cup are both brands!
- Sugar– we’re using brown and white cane sugar in this!
- Butter– I get asked often what my favorite kind of vegan butter is. I’m a huge fan of the Country Crock plant butter but for these cookies, I tried a new (to me) brand called Melt and I loved it! Would love to hear if you have a favorite.
- Milk– really any plant based milk will work well here! I used oat milk
- Chocolate– to really level this up, I like to use both chocolate chips AND chunks plus add extra chunks to the top of the cookie before baking it.
What size skillet do you need?
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can actually use several different sized skillets depending on what you have on hand. I make mine in a 10 inch cast iron skillet but you could use an 8 inch skillet (cooking it a few extra minutes) or even a larger 12 inch skillet (cutting off a few minutes from the bake time since it’s a thinner cookie).
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can use any oven safe skillet that you have!
Can I make this without a stand mixer?
You can! I find it super quick and easy to make in a stand mixer but I realize that not everyone has one or wants to bother getting theirs out and dirty. Instead, you can make this in a big bowl with an electric beater/ hand mixer!
More vegan cookie recipes to try:
- Thick & Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Cookies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Edible Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
See how to make the Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie here:
This vegan skillet cookie is super simple to make and SUCH a delicious comfort food! Best enjoyed with a big scoop of ice cream :D
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter, 8 tablespoons, softened* (1/2 cup of coconut oil will also work well here!)
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- ¼ cup of plant based milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of all purpose flour*
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of vegan chocolate chips, additional for topping (For this skillet, I like to use a combo of chips and chunks of chocolate!)
- for serving: ice cream (not necessary but HIGHLY recommended)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 10-12 inch oven safe skillet with butter or cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment (you can also do this in a large bowl with a hand mixer), cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Once fully combined, add in the milk and vanilla and mix until just combined. The mixture will look a little curdled but it’s okay!
- Add in the four, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate until mixed in. The dough will be a little sticky but should not stick to your hands excessively. If it’s too sticky, mix in a little extra flour.
- Pour the dough into your prepared skillet and spread it out so that it’s evenly in the skillet. Pat the edges down a little so everything is as even as possible. Optional to top with additional chocolate (do it!).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cookie set, puffed up around the edges, and just starting to get a golden brown color. Top with ice cream and ENJOY!
*the butter does not need to be at room temperature but soft enough that it will easily cream together with the sugars. I’ve found this to be perfect at a little cooler, but close to, room temperature
*the only gluten free flour that I’ve ever tried with this recipe is a gluten free 1-1 flour (bob’s red mill and cup4cup are my favorite brands!)
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: skillet cookie, vegan skillet cookie, vegan cookie, vegan dessert