Butternut Squash Fritters
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I’m SO excited about Butternut Squash Season which we’re welcoming with these Butternut Squash Fritters!
Most recipes that I’ve been making these days are things that are easily consumed by a 1 year old child. Things like these fritters have been a big hit with the baby who, at pretty much all meals, just wants to be able to feed herself. She’s happiest when she has food in her hand (like mother like daughter, right?).
Conveniently, I also LOVED these Butternut Squash Fritters and ate the whole batch in a matter of one day….pretty much by myself :)
I’m thinking about doing a butternut squash week on the blog this fall where I would post a new BNS recipe each day. I have several friends that do similar weeks with other things such as pumpkin, muffins, cookies, etc. and it’s just something that seems really fun! Plus, there’s no such thing as too much butternut squash and I most certainly need more of it in my life right now.
Are you in for Butternut Squash Week in October!!?
How to Make These Butternut Squash Fritters
The grating of the butternut squash is the most burdensome part of this recipe. After that, you simply mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, form the dough into ~10 patties, and then fry them in a large skillet for a few minutes on each side.
AND that’s it. EASY. We like easy around here.
These fritters are great either as a side dish or even as a light meal. They’re also great for meal prep if that’s your thing.
I topped mine with a little bit of garlicky sour cream (because I’m obsessed) and ate them on their own as a meal. They’re one of those things that are easy to eat 5 of before realizing that you’ve even done it. Consider yourself warned!
What other butternut squash recipes would you like to see? Last year I made THIS One Bowl Butternut Squash Bread and I’m eager to make it again!
See How to Make the Fritters here:
- 5 cups butternut squash, shredded and lightly squeezed of excess moisture
- 2 large eggs or 2 flax eggs for vegan (2 tablespoons of flaxmeal + 5 tbs water)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, freshly chopped
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt & Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- In a bowl, combine the shredded squash, eggs, thyme, flour and salt & pepper. Mix until combined.
- Taking about 1/4 cup at a time, squeeze out any excess moisture and form the batter into discs.
- In a large skillet, heat about 1 tablespoon of oil until just hot. Add in the fritters and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. You want them to be a nice golden brown on each side and starting to get quite crispy around the edges.
- Let cool slightly and ENJOY!
- Category: dinner
- Method: frying
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: butternut squash, fritters, side dish