Chocolate Mug Cake
This Chocolate Mug Cake recipe is SO ridiculously easy to make and comes together (start to finish) in less than 5 minutes! It’s dairy free, egg free, and completely vegan.
Have you ever tried making a microwave mug cake before? I’m relatively new to the concept and I’m not going to lie: it’s a little life changing. I happen to LOVE cake but MAN is making a whole cake a little bit too much work at times. Even a simple sheet cake feels daunting to me sometimes; no matter how intense the chocolate craving might be.
ENTER this easy mug cake. Honestly, “easy” is an understatement because this mug cake recipe could not be any simpler.
^^^^Look how fluffy that cake is! When I first made a mug cake (I tried out a vanilla mug cake first), I could NOT believe how perfect it comes out. Seriously so fluffy and so delicious!
How to make a mug cake:
Mix. Microwave. DONE! It’s seriously that easy and is this even a recipe if it’s SO SIMPLE!?
I looked at some different recipes that have you mix everything in separate bowls and then pour it into the mugs. That takes out half of the fun of having NO dishes (I mean, except the mug) and just stirring everything together right inside of the mug.
Speaking of the mug: the batter will rise quite a bit so you want to have a decent amount of space left in the mug or else the batter will spill over the sides. I tested this with quite a few different mugs and discovered that you want at least 1 inch between the batter and the top of the mug. To be on the safe side, I would put a paper towel under the mug just in case it does spill.
So to make my easy chocolate mug cake, you start by mixing together all of the dry ingredients before adding in all of the wet ingredients. Right inside of the mug. Once it’s fully mixed, just pop the mug in the microwave for 2 minutes, let it cool slightly, and then ENJOY!
Can I make this mug cake gluten free?:
For ever baking recipe that I post, I always get asked 10,000 times if it can be made gluten free. I honestly do not do a ton of gluten free baking BUT when I do, I typically just use a 1-1 gluten free flour.
I’ll definitely update this post once I’ve made a gluten free version (coming soon!).
I’m also going to work on a sugar free mug cake recipe so be on the lookout for that :D
See how to make this Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe here:
This Chocolate Mug Cake is SO ridiculously easy to make and comes together (start to finish) in less than 5 minutes! It’s dairy free, egg free, and completely vegan.
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar (you can use coconut sugar or brown sugar if desired)
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of mild tasting oil (I tested this with melted coconut oil as well as canola oil)
- splash of vanilla extract (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/3 cup milk of choice (I tested this with 2% as well as unflavored almond milk)
- 1 heaping tablespoon of chocolate chips
- Pick a mug that can hold about 2 cups of liquid if filled to the very top. We’re not going to fill this to the top but since the cake batter will rise a lot, you need around an inch between the batter and the top of the mug. Obviously this will vary depending on how wide your mug is so just go with something that can hold about 2 cups of liquid.
- In your mug, add the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Mix thoroughly so that it’s completely mixed together.
- Add in the oil, vanilla, and milk. Mix the batter until the flour is completely absorbed. Make sure to stir into the corners thoroughly as flour can get stuck there. Add in the chocolate chips and give it a couple more stirs.
- Place in the microwave on top of a paper towel (just in case the batter spills over) and microwave for 2 minutes. Once done, let cool for a minute and ENJOY! I topped mine with a drizzle of peanut butter and some additional chocolate chips.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mug cake, vegan dessert, easy dessert