Red Wine Chocolate Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Red Wine Chocolate Cake is fully VEGAN and a great treat for Valentine’s Day or a simple date night! It’s easy to make and can even be all made the night before.
Thank you to Taylor USA for sponsoring this post. They’re a long time sponsor of Food with Feeling and I have used their kitchen scales + thermometers for YEARS! They’re seriously the best. Thank you for supporting the brands that make my blog possible.
I’ve been dying to post this cake! I actually tested it last summer and decided to save it for Valentine’s Day because it’s just too perfect!
I used THIS Kitchen scale from Taylor to weigh out the dry ingredients. Over the years, I have really learned the importance of weighing out your dry ingredients when baking. It makes such a big difference and can honestly make or BREAK a recipe. I’m trying to go back through all of my old recipe posts and update them with more precise measurements so people can follow along a little easier.
You can check out Taylor’s entire line of kitchen scales (plus more!) HERE.
The cake is TRULY delicious on it’s own BUT I’m also serving it with some RED WINE berries because YUM :) Plus, I figure you’ve got a little red wine leftover and we might as well use it, right?
I had a version of these berries at a restaurant once and have been dying to make them at home. I didn’t realize how truly easy it would be.
One of the things that I really love about this cake is that it can all be made the night before and stored in the fridge until time to use! I love the ease of that and how simple it makes dinner. I mean, who wants to bake AND cook dinner all in one go? Not me.
Oh, you can also use whatever berries you would love here. I’ve tested this with strawberry slices and it’s just as good! Highly recommend although the raspberries are my favorite.
ALRIGHT that’s it for today! As always, if you end up making this cake, please snap a quick photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always LOVE to see what you’re making from the blog.
And thanks again to Taylor USA for sponsoring this post!Print
This red wine chocolate cake is simple to make and so very delicious!
For the red wine cake:
- 1 1/2 cups of flour (220g)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (30g)
- 1 cup of sugar (198g)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of red wine*
- 1/4 cup of plant based milk
- 1/2 cup of neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla (almond extract is also nice here)
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (regular vinegar works ok here too)
For the red wine berries:
- 1 6oz container of raspberries
- 3/4 cup of red wine*
- 3/4 cup of sugar
To make the cake:
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper. I like to use the parchment paper AND cooking spray to minimize sticking.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: red wine, milk, oil, vanilla, and vinegar. Once combined, add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes until fully set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
To make the berries:
- In a small pot, mix together the wine and sugar over medium heat and continue to stir until the sugar is fully dissolved. Bring to a gentle simmer and let cook on low for 5 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the berries. Place in the fridge to thicken even more for 20-30 minutes. This can also be done the night before.
- Serve the berries over top of the cake and ENJOY!
*a dry red wine works best such as Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: cake
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan chocolate cake, red wine cake, red wine dessert