Chickpea Vegan Pot Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I’ve been hard core craving chicken pot pie lately so I figured that I would make a VEGAN version of the classic recipe by swapping out the chicken for chickpeas and leaving everything else pretty much the same. The result is a comforting, filling, and OMG SO DELICIOUS meal that I could legit eat every single night!
Oh HELLO pot pie of my DREAMS! ??
I feel like I say this about every single recipe that I post BUT OMG THIS IS SO GOOD!
I took my original coconut oil pie crust but used vegan butter instead and it really makes this recipe ?!!
I kept the recipe pretty true to the original and just made small adjustments where necessary to get it fully vegan but still delicious!
I keep meaning to try freezing this recipe (I’m thinking before the bake process) to see how well that would work. This would make SUCH a great recipe to take to new parents or even to a pot luck where you need a good vegan option.
Ingredients in this Vegan Chicken Pot Pie:
- Chickpeas– instead of chicken, we’re using chickpeas as a protein source in this recipe. I LOVE this swap and feel like it leaves me satisfied and completely full.
- Pie crust– as I mentioned, I used my coconut oil pie crust recipe and simply swapped the oil for vegan butter. You can do it either way but the vegan butter really gives it that nice flaky and savory taste that makes pot pit SO good.
- Frozen veggies– I’ve been seriously obsessed with frozen veggies in my recipes lately (see my veggie alphabet soup from a couple weeks ago). It makes the recipe SO MUCH quicker and easier. You can, of course, you fresh veggies if you desire but you’ll want to sautee them until softened before adding them to the chickpea mixture.
- Onion and Celery– If you can find these frozen, you can add them in that way. But, I typically just add these in fresh since they’re 2 things that I always have on hand in my fridge.
- All purpose flour– this is used to thicken the sauce. While I haven’t tried this, I think that you could use oat flour here if you’re looking for a gluten free alternative.
- Milk– Really any plant based milk would work. I tried this with both oat milk as well as almond milk (you want to get the unsweetened AND original flavors so there’s no weird vanilla flavor in there).
- Broth– I really like using the Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base. I keep it in my fridge so that I can make vegetable broth quickly. The broth in this recipe adds a lot of nice flavor.
More vegan dinner recipes that you’ll love:
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Easy Vegan Meatballs
- Veggie Vegan Enchiladas
- French Onion Soup
- Vegan Lasagna
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Stuffed Peppers
See How to make the Vegan Pot Pie here:Print
This Chickpea Pot Pie is SO comforting and filling! It’s a great pot luck dish and something everyone will love!
- 2 vegan pie crusts* (a top and a bottom piece)
- ⅓ cup of vegan butter (I really like Earth Balance or Country Crock Plant Butter in this recipe)
- 1 small yellow onion (about 1 cup)
- ⅓ cup of all-purpose flour (can sub for oat flour or a 1-1 flour to make gluten free)
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 ½ cups of veggie broth
- ½ cup of plant based milk (I love oat milk in this!)
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables*
- 2 sticks of celery**
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F and grease a 9 inch pie pan. Position one of the crusts into the bottom of the pan and cut off an excess so that about 1/4 of an inch hangs over the side. Place in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add in the onion and celery and saute for 5 minutes until softened.
- Mix in flour, salt and pepper and stir until the flour is fully combined
- Slowly mix in the milk, adding it a little at a time and continuing to stir. Sir in the broth. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Stir in chickpeas and frozen veggies.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie pan (it’ll seem like almost too much filling but it’s fine!). Brush the edges of the crust with water or plant based milk.
- Cover the pie with the other crust and trim it so that 1/2 an inch hangs over the side. Seal the 2 crusts together and crimp the edges. You can do this for a fork or with your fingers. Cut a few slits in the op of the dough (see video).
- Bake for 40 minutes. Watch the last 10 minutes and put foil over edges of crust to avoid burning. Let sit for about 10 minutes and enjoy!! The filling will be quite runny and messy and thickens up the more that it sits.
*HERE is my coconut oil vegan pie crust but you can use any you wish!
*You can obviously sub this for 2 cups of fresh vegetables, you’ll just want to saute them in a little oil over medium heat for about 8 minutes before adding them to the rest of the recipe.
**this is optional but I just really like adding it in :D
- Category: vegan dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan pot pie, pot pie, chickpea recipe, chickpea pot pie