Chocolate Peppermint Cookies (V + GF)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are easy to make and delicious festive! They’re vegan AND gluten free and perfect for all of your holiday baking desires.
Oh HELLO holiday baking season, so so nice to see you! I know that on the day I’m posting this recipe, we still haven’t gotten to Thanksgiving yet. HOWEVER, I wanted you to be prepared :)
Holiday baking and excessive decorating begins as soon as the Thanksgiving dinner has been consumed. NOT SORRY about that one little bit.
I have SO SO many cookie recipes that I want to share with you this year. I’m honestly not sure if there’s enough time between now and the end of the year but I’m going to do my best. Holiday baking season 100%= the BEST season of them all. And this year, I think that we could all use a few extra cookies in our lives.
So, first up this year we’re making these CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT COOKIES! ?
Ingredients in these GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN cookies:
- Gluten free 1-1 flour: I’m a HUGE fan of a simple 1 to 1 flour but as desired, you can also use regular all-purpose flour.
- Vegan butter: I’m a huge fan of the Country Crock plant butter for baking! But really any vegan butter would work well.
- Peppermint + almond extract: to create the most flavorful and delicious cookies!
- Sugar: for classic SUGAR cookies
- Almond milk: or other plant based milk of choice
- Cocoa powder: to get these deliciously chocolatey
- Cornstarch: this is used in place of eggs to thicken and help bind the cookies
- Crushed peppermint for topping: this is optional but highly highly recommended! YUM!
This recipe is b ased heavily off of my original vegan sugar cookie recipe. The main difference is that we’re adding in cocoa powder AND some peppermint extract.
ALRIGHT that’s it for today! As always, if you end up making this recipe, please snap a quick photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always LOVE to see what you’re making from the blog.
More vegan cookie recipes to try:
For the cookies:
- ½ cup (1 stick) vegan butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (or any milk alternative)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten Free 1-1 Flour (or regular all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
For the frosting:
- 1 stick of butter softened
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla (or swap for peppermint extract)
- 1 teaspoon of milk (plus a bit more as needed)
- For topping: crushed peppermint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the softened vegan butter and sugar together in a stand mixer or using an electric handheld mixer for 2 minutes or until it comes together. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat again for another minute, until light and fluffy. Add in the almond milk and extracts and mix until combined.
- Slowly combine the dry with the wet and beat until a dough has formed – about 2-3 minutes of mixing. Do not overmix – once the dough comes together, it’s ready.
- Move the dough to a floured surface. Roll the dough out to ¼ inch in thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out your cookies and carefully transfer them to a parchment lined cookie sheet, 1 inch between each cookie. Continue to re-roll the dough and cut out cookies until you have used all the dough.
- Place the sheet in the fridge for 10 minutes. This step is crucial for the cookies to maintain their shape or design. Bake straight from the fridge for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges. Remove and allow to cool.
- Make the frosting in a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) by whisking the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add in the sugar, vanilla, and milk and continue to mix until fully combined.
- Frost and decorate cookies as desired and enjoy!
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan cookies, vegan sugar cookies, egg free cookies, dairy free cookies