Air Fryer Asparagus
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Air Fryer Asparagus is my new favorite side dish! It works great for an everyday dinner or a holiday meal. Asparagus in the air fryer is easy to make with just a few ingredients and results in a flavorful side dish that pairs wonderfully with a variety of entrees. You just can’t go wrong with this one!
PLEASE tell me that you love asparagus as much as I do! I eat it YEAR round but when it’s in season and extra inexpensive during the summer, I find myself eating it multiple times per week (and loving every bit of it!).
THIS Baked Asparagus recipe is one of my MOST popular recipes on the blog right now. And while I truly love roasting my asparagus in the oven, I’ve been dying to try it out in the air fryer. I’ve been cooking it like this a lot lately and I’m a HUGE FAN! Can’t wait for you to try it out this way.
Cooking asparagus in the air fryer
Asparagus is a spring staple, and this recipe makes it extra delicious. There are lots of different ways to enjoy asparagus whether it be in a salad, sautéed in a skillet or oven roasted, but this is by far my absolute favorite way to eat (and serve) asparagus. This asparagus air fryer recipe is absolutely incredible!
And I know, asparagus is one of those veggies that people either love or hate. But, this simple air fryer version is one that you’re most likely to love! It turns out so delicious tossed with a little parmesan cheese (if you’d like) and air fried until it’s tender on the inside and perfectly crisp on the outside. Your family is going to love this super flavorful, nutritious side dish just as much as mine does!
Ingredients for air fryer asparagus:
Not only is this effortless veggie side dish super quick to make, it only requires 3 key ingredients, plus salt + pepper. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Asparagus. be sure to use fresh asparagus for making asparagus in the air fryer.
- Olive oil. my go to is olive oil for this recipe, but avocado oil works too.
- Garlic powder. I love asparagus seasoned with garlic powder, but if you have another favorite seasoning, you can totally swap this out for something else.
- Salt & pepper. to bring all of the flavors together.
- Parmesan cheese. optional, but so delicious!
How to make asparagus in an air fryer:
This asparagus recipe could not be easier! Here’s a quick rundown of what’s involved, but you can find the complete printable recipe at the bottom of the post.
Pre-heat the air fryer. Depending on the model of your air fryer (some don’t have the preheat function) preheat to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
Prep the asparagus. Trim off the hard white ends. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.
Cook the asparagus. Lay the asparagus flat in your air fryer, being careful not to stack it as best possible. Air fry for 5 minutes and then sprinkle on the parmesan cheese (if using) and continue to air fry for 2-4 additional minutes.
Enjoy! Sprinkle with additional parmesan as desired and serve.
Tips for making air fryer asparagus:
- You’ll want to remove the tough ends of the asparagus spears before air frying because they are too tough to eat. You can do this by simply snapping off the end, which is usually about 1 inch long, or carefully cut it off with a sharp knife.
- I recommend lining your air fryer with parchment paper. This prevents sticking and makes for easy cleanup!
- When placing the asparagus in the air fryer, try not to stack it. A few pieces overlapping is fine, but too much overcrowding can result in soggy asparagus. Cook your asparagus in batches, as needed, depending on the size of your air fryer.
There are so many different ways to flavor air fryer asparagus! This parmesan garlic version is so good, but sometimes I add other ingredients to mix things up a bit.
- Seasoning. Instead of or in addition to the garlic powder, try adding Italian seasoning or rosemary and thyme.
- Cheese. Asparagus with parmesan is classic, but a sprinkle of feta cheese over the top right before serving is incredible too.
- Nuts. For a little added crunch, try sprinkling 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, chopped pecans or slivered almonds over the asparagus before serving.
What makes asparagus in the air fryer so great?
- Asparagus is described to have an earthy taste similar to broccoli. Seasoned and cooked to perfection, it can be incredibly tasty. Something else really great about asparagus is that it has the ability to absorb flavors from other food, so it works really well paired with something saucy or extra flavorful.
- Not only is asparagus delicious, but it’s also a nutritional powerhouse! It’s packed with vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A, C and K. It also contains folate, iron, copper and calcium. Asparagus is high fiber and low calorie, so go ahead and enjoy plenty of this veggie dish. Your body will thank you!
- Air fryer asparagus is great as a simple side, but it also makes the perfect addition to pasta, flatbread, quiches, salads or vegetable medleys.
How to store asparagus:
To keep asparagus spears fresh for as long as possible, they are best stored like a bouquet of flowers! Place the spears (stem side down) in a jar with a few inches of water and store the jar in the fridge. It’s also a good idea to cover the tops of the spears with a bag for maximum freshness.
More favorite vegetable sides to try:
As usual, PLEASE let me know if you make this recipe and let me know how you like it! You can come back here and leave a comment or tag me on instagram (@foodwithfeeling).Print
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (melted ghee or butter also works great!)
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat your air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Prep the asparagus by trimming off the hard white ends. Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle on the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.
- Lay the asparagus flat in your air fryer, being careful not to stack it as best possible (if a few pieces are overlapping, that’s okay).
- Air fry for 5 minutes and then sprinkle on the parmesan cheese (if using) and then air fry for 2-4 additional minutes. Cook time will depend on the thickness of your asparagus. Thinner pieces will likely only need 2 more minutes while thicker pieces will require 4 additional minutes.
- Sprinkle with additional parmesan as desired and ENJOY!
- Category: side dish
- Method: air fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer asparagus, asparagus in air fryer, asparagus air fryer