This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Tofu Satay recipe is super simple to make and PERFECT for grilling season! It can be marinated for a short period if you’re in a hurry OR it can even marinate overnight for extra flavor.
It’s day 5 of tofu week and we’re making this Tofu Satay! I heard from so many of you that you wanted to see some summer grilling recipes as part of tofu week and I instantly thought of this recipe. it’s been on my recipe ‘to-do-list’ for a WHILE!
I used a special technique to get the tofu extra flavorful and chewy and I’m excited to share it with you.
And that technique is FREEZING the tofu!
How and why to freeze tofu:
I’m relatively new to freezing tofu but so far I love it. The main con is that it takes more prep and planning. The pro: it results in a texture more similar to chicken and helps the tofu really absorb the flavors of the marinade.
Tofu has a ton of moisture in it and when you freeze it, that moisture crystalizes and creates these nice pockets throughout the tofu. Those pockets result in a meatier texture AND work well to soak up flavor. I’m a huge fan and definitely plan to try it out on some of my other tofu recipes.
How to freeze tofu:
While it takes a little bit of extra planning, the actual process of freezing tofu is super simple.
Tofu can be frozen whole and even in it’s original packaging. For this recipe, I’m going to go ahead and cut the tofu into cubes and place it in an air tight container. I do this the night before I want to cook it so that I can throw it in the freezer overnight and then take it out the next morning to thaw before dinner.
AND that’s about it. SO basically it’s just a matter of freezing AND THEN unfreezing it :) Super simple.
I’m going to keep it short and simple for today’s post :) See below for the FULL recipe to make this Tofu Satay!
More tofu recipes you’ll love:
- Roundup of my favorite tofu recipes
- Sesame Tofu
- Perfect Baked Tofu
- My comprehensive guide all about different ways to cook tofu
- Tofu Tacos
- How to press tofu
- Tofu Kebabs
- Cashew Tofu Stir Fry
- Tofu Caprese Skewers
- Easy Grilled Tofu
- Sheet Pan Tofu & Veggies
- Tofu Stir Fry
- Tofu Scramble
See how to make the tofu satay here:
These Tofu Satay skewers are simple to make and so delicious! Perfect for grilling season.
- 15 ounce block of firm or extra firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes*
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Peanut Sauce for serving
- Start out by freezing your tofu (you can skip this step if desired but I love the texture and flavor that it provides. See note below!). Cut the tofu into large 1 inch chunks and place into a air tight container. Place in the freezer and freeze through (I usually do this overnight). Remove from the freezer the morning you plan to make this and thaw in the fridge.
- In a resealable container, whisk together the coconut milk, soy sauce, curry powder, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and brown sugar. Add in the thawed tofu and marinate for 30 minutes or even several hours.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat your grill to 400 degrees F.
- Place the tofu on your skewers, about 5 pieces to each skewer. Place on the heated grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until little charred around.
- Serve and ENJOY!
*If you’re not planning to freeze the tofu then you’ll need to press it before marinating it. I have a full guide on how to do that HERE
**if using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for about 20 minutes before using
- Category: dinner
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: grilled tofu, tofu recipe, vegan grilling